New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling a 257 WBY
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just looking for some opinions here. After exhausting just about every thing I know of trying to get this 257 Wby to shoot, I've decided to rebarrel it. I've made the decision to go with Pac-Nor in a #2 or 3 Wby contour and 26" long. My question is, would you have them take out the freebore that's so inherent to Wby chamberings, or just keep the standard factory chamber? This is a hunting rifle, not target, but I would like 1/2 MOA accuracy. Although I will be reloading for this rifle, will I still be able to shoot factory loads, or will the pressures be too high?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have any intention at all of shooting factory ammo in the new barrel you will need to have it freebored. The shooting of Weatherby factory ammo in a rifle with no freebore will certainly lead to elevated pressures.

There is a reason that Weatherby uses this system and if you want to shoot Weatherby calibers I would not mess with it.

I own a 7mm Wby Mag and a 300 Wby Mag, they are both Remington rifles (700 Classics). They are both freebored, and while I cannot get the 1/2 MOA accuracy you desire, 3/4 MOA groups are pretty common with them.

I had a friend who rechambered a Winchester Model 70 that was a 300 H%H to 300 Weatherby. He left the throat short with no freebore. He tried to shoot factory 300 Wby ammo in it and darned near blew it up.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote