New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rate of twist question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here know what twist is needed to stabilze a 60 grain 22 caliber spitzer such as the Hornady Spire Point or Nosler Partition when pushed 3000-3200 FPS?

Thanks.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
Brian,

The Hornady manual has some footnotes for 60gr .22 bullets, and it seems that ideally the twist should be faster than 1-13. It depends what cartridge you're loading for, but I have always had good results from slightly lighter bullets (50 gr Nosler BT).

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
The recommended twist rate for Hornady 60 grain vmax is 7-12.

I have a 22-250AI with a 1-9 twist that shoots both the 60 vmax and the 60 grain Nosler Partition extremely well. The chronographed velocity is 3650 for both.

Hope this helps.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much guys.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<russ>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian M:
[B]Does anyone here know what twist is needed to stabilze a 60 grain 22 caliber spitzer such as the Hornady Spire Point or Nosler Partition when pushed 3000-3200 FPS?

Brian: I have found in making bullets that the Greenhill formula really works. One of the main ingredients to a bullet stabilizing is it's length, no matter what the ogive, flat or boattail. The formula is:
[150/(L/D)] x D = twist rate
where D = diameter, L= length of bullet.
You can plug your current twist rate in here and figure out what length bullet your rifle can shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
Thanks,I'll try that out.In the meanwhile,I realized I have almost 1,000 Remington 55 grain PSPs I better shoot up before buying any other 22 caliber bullets.

------------------