THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    WC-820 Surplus Powder in a 22 Hornet - Initial Test

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WC-820 Surplus Powder in a 22 Hornet - Initial Test
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted
I just tried WC-820 surplus, had heard from others that it works well(depending on who you ask, and what lot it is supposedly H110 / 296 / AA#9 equivalent). I think I paid $40 for an 8lb. keg a few years back.

Anyway - CCI BR primers, W-W brass, 22" NEF barrel, .015-.020 off the lands.

10.5g under Hornady 40g V-Max MOLY = 2810 +/- 10 fps with no pressure signs, decent accuracy

9.0g under Sierra 52g 2338-2408fps FLAT PRIMERS decent accuracy

.5g under Sierra 53g 2424-2501 fps REALLY FLAT PRIMERS decent accuracy

So...comparing the charge weights to the new Sierra and Hornady manuals, it really doesn't fall right on with ANY of the 296/H110, maybe close to some AA#9 loads. Need to go dig out some old manuals and see if there is much difference.

Accuracy was decent enough, all of them shot from .75 to 1.25" @100, with the best being the 40 grainers.

This thing has a 12 twist barrel, I think I'll reduce the charge on the heavies, and try to pick up some 45's and 50's.

Anybody else fooled with this powder in a Hornet?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently there were some lots of WC 820 that were H110 speed. My batch and all the batches I have heard about in the last couple of years have been AA-9 speed exactly. It's also very slightly faster than 2400 so 2400 starting loads can be used as a guide where AA-9 data is unavailable. Max loads will be somewhat lower than with 2400.

Can't help with the Hornet specifically because I use a .25-20 for the sort of stuff other people use the Hornet for.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I found two other jugs of this stuff, that I hadn't unpacked from the move 4 years ago.

I've got H110/296 scribbled on both of them with load data for 44 mag.

I'll try some of this lot this weekend and see what the difference is.

Getting old sucks, can't believe how much I forget about anymore.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
foreball,
I am using it to load .410 skeet loads. It is around 10% hotter than the 110/296 loads for .410 loads. I had 32 pounds of it but have gone through one jug in the last 7 months.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote