THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Trouble with Hornady factory ammo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble with Hornady factory ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
6.5 Creedmore, Hornady factory ammunition.
About 12 rounds of the box of ammo were fired in a new Tikka rifle. Rifle has a total of 40-50 rounds through it with zero issues. 2 Rounds fired after with no difficulties.
Never seen a new case split before.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is intetresting. I picked up two boxes of .257 Robert's Hornady's loaded with 117 grain bullets today.

I have misplaced the shells I had loaded and all my loading stuff is scattered around the house.

I have found a little oddball buck I am going to try and get Lora a shot at, so I have to do some sighting in and I can be watching for anything odd with this ammo.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
It might be a bad batch. Maybe contact Hornady and see what they say?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I and a couple buddies have had the same with their 17 Hornet ammo. Contacted them regarding the issue, we were taken care of.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bad brass.

Send pics with lot # to Hornady.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the photograph it appears that the crack extens on from the smoked/separated part and has a slight crack going into the groove for the rim. It may be more of a problem with the case forming equipment than with the lot of brass. In either situation, I'm sure Hornady would like to get the information so that they could look into the problem.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately Ive never had such problems, but what I see has to be bad brass, even hot loads don't react like that in the middle of the case..I would send it back to Hornday..Lot of folks have had problem with Hornadys new brass..You need to report it and they need to fix it and Im sure they will in time and enough complaints..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady brand is the only factory ammunition with which I have experienced problems. In one caliber half of the box misfired (due to no fault with the gun since every other type of ammunition and handloads fired perfectly.)

In another instance it was obviously excessive pressures -- again, in a proven rifle.

I am not impressed with Hornady's quality control.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I have 10 boxes of same, will check Lot #.
I have been using Hornady for years& never a problem.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Hornady brand is the only factory ammunition with which I have experienced problems. In one caliber half of the box misfired (due to no fault with the gun since every other type of ammunition and handloads fired perfectly.)

In another instance it was obviously excessive pressures -- again, in a proven rifle.

I am not impressed with Hornady's quality control.

Exactly my experience with Hornady too.
Superformance 35Whelen was blowing primers in a rifle that every other round of every bullet type and normal range load worked perfectly.
I buy their empty brass but will never buy their loaded ammo.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote