THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    20 vartarg- abbreviated range session

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 vartarg- abbreviated range session
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wanted this rig for 10 years before it became a reality.

Cooper Model 21 varminter, 20 Vartarg.
It was worth the wait.

Had a few minutes to run to the range this evening.
By time I got chrony and targets set up, I had about 20 minutes to shoot. Shot a couple groups with 308 and tac 20. Had about 8 minutes left to shoot these four groups.
Might have done better if not pressed for time.
I've had my best luck with H-4198, Reloader 10X and RL-7 in the small calibers.
Here are 4 different bullets of a different weight, OAL and manufacturer, using 18 gr. Reloader 7.
100 yds, off bench, wind +/- 5 mph., +/- 90 degrees F.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! One of my favorite rounds. Mine is a CZ Varmint Kevlar rebuilt by Greg Tannel. Sure not as purty as yours but it handles the weather and field use well.

I use H4198, 7 1/2BR primers and 32 V-Max's for just a skinch under 3,800FPS and serious accuracy.
Glad ya finally got yours I know it's been on your mind for a while. It'll be one a your favorites too before long I'd bet.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there guy.

It took a long time to find/acquire one. Had to be a Cooper. Had to be used. Had to be under a grand.
I like the classics better for walking varminters, but you can't beat the varminters for shooting off bags or a rest.

I was thinking about you tonite when I was unloading my truck. Hadn't seen many of your posts lately.
Hope all is well with you and yours.

Glad to see you're still giving them what for.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Geedubya!

I recently put a 204 barrel on a Ruger 77 action I had.. it is a Ruger lightweight barrel that a fellow forum member gave me a few years ago..its stainless and put it on a stainless action.. currently using the Boat Paddle stock until I can get a nicer one for it..

I am loading it up to be closer to the 20 VarTag specs.. maybe even less MV..

my load has been 15 grains of 4227 with 32 and 40 grain V Maxes.. intending it to be used as a walking varminter...

it sure is turning in little bitty groups at 100 yds..

not a classic like yours.. but I'm enjoying it..

too late for this season, but next spring we'll see if I can do some 20 caliber lobotomies on some sage rats like Doug pictured above..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of lobotomies seafire. Note the chuck on the right, there is a flap of skin hanging down that was the top of his head but the head it self is MIA Big Grin.
Accuracy for this round is outstanding as you might expect from a shortened .222 case. That CZ has a single pointed action, double sleeved and bushed bolt, tight neck etc. It shoots real boring groups.
This picture was taken before Hornady changed over from the very first V-Max .20 caliber offering the 33 grain to the current one the 32 grainer. I never figured that move out Confused. It's a 5 shot group.

The Tri-fecta or "Momma bear Poppa bear and Baby bear of the .221 case which I believe Geedubya has as well is the whole rat smackin family. The .221 Fire Ball (mine shoots a 40 grain V-Max @ 3,550ish FPS using AA1680), the .20 VarTarg shooting a 32 grainer at or about 3,800FPS and "baby bear", the .17 Mach IV/.17 Fire Ball shooting a 25 grain V-Max at or around 3,800 FPS. If that little family a rat smackers can't bring a little levity to your life in a p-dog town dancing ya need to take up the guitar and sell your rifles.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
Some real serious velocities going on around here! And those dogs look like they could use an aspirin! tu2

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya , another beautiful Cooper, congrats on the rifle and the price!

Not to change the subject, just curious if you have looked into the new IMR powder 8208. It is supposed to be the cats ass for .223 and .308. I have no experience with the .223 just what I have read.

But in my .308 it has replaced 4064 as top dog, just saying.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Following the 8208 idea I personally think it would be to slow for 32 grainers but it might work well for 39 grain BlitzKings if a guy was so inclined. Geedub you wouldn't happen to have any H4198, N120 or AA1680 would ya? I think a number of them might be worth a whirl. Actually that 8208 idea with 39 or 40 grainers interests me, might not be fast but I'd bet it'd be accurate and temperature stable.
Geedubya while those are good groups already I'll lay odds that when you find that critters favorite diet they shrink considerably. Congrats again amigo!
Buy the way.
"quote" I wanted this rig for 10 years before it became a reality. "quote"
While I stand in awe of your obvious self control I gotta ask. How's a guy do that anyway? bewildered
P.S.
My wife told me to ask Wink.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
My 20 VT started life as a lefty 204 Ruger. Then Jim Kobe made it a dandy shooter in 20 VT with a 22" stainless barrel.

I'm shooting 32 gr Sierra Blitz Kings at 3750 for one ragged hole accuracy at 100.

Used it in Montana this year to shoot some prairie dogs at over 450 yards. That was well into the 204 Ruger range!

Great cartridge and a lot of fun.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I built mine on a XR100 by shortening the 204 chamber and re cutting it to 20VT.
35gn Berger at 3730fps and a doozie of a short range load at 2750fps.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote