THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which Powder for 75grAmax in 223?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Powder for 75grAmax in 223?
 Login/Join

posted
G'day,
I just purchased a Steyr Pro Varmint 223 with a 1:9 barrel i was wondering which powder is the most recommend for pushing the 75 Grain Amax. All my experience has been with Win 748.

Regards

KAV

Posts: 3 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a long bullet for a 1:9 twist. They won't stabilize in my 1:9. The 75 bthp was a long as I could get. Powder wise I was using Varget, 23.0gr I believe. I have heard from a buddy that shoots the Amax in 1000 yard matches that the Reloader powders work well, 15 and 19.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I prefer Re-15, but several others will do the trick as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25gr of Varget and seat them long as possible.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
+1 for Re-15

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Unless they will not shoot in your 1 in 9 PLEASE don't say they will not. They do in mine: even at 400 yards

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My Savage with the 1 in 9 factory twist will shoot everything up thru the 80 grain Match bullets..
after testing about 17 different powders in mine with the 75 grain A Max.. ..

my best results were with plain old IMR 4895 and IMR 4064... both with loads of 25 grains of powder with the 75 grain A Max...

If you are shooting paper, I actually have found that the 75 grain HP Match from Hornady is more accurate..

The powders that get honorable mention is Varget...and H 322...

I just use regular small rifle primers and don't notice any difference in the brand..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on getting 75 AMAX to shoot in your 1/9. I think you have about a 1:10 chance depending upon your definition of "shoots".

As said, Varget and Re15 are the 2 most popular powders, with 4895, VV N540, TAC and maybe even W748 making a show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VV 140, VV 540. There are alot of 1/9 rifles shooting them quite well. "I" have never heard personally of a Savage in .223 that would not shoot them well.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I just built a .220 Swift with a 1-8 twist to shoot the 75 and 80 gr. bullets. Haven't had a lot of time to test loads, but H4831sc has worked very well with both bullet weights. Sub 2" groups at 400 yards, so far.........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesMost powders I've used with 75gr. bullets have been surplus. One ,however that does stand out was 24.7gr. aa2520 @ 2950 fps. avg. multi shot 2" group at 200 yds. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 75 BTHP and a-max in my savage 223 with 1:9 twist and below is what I got.Haven't shot them since though.The 80's shot pretty good also but couldn't find the target.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Owensby,

that 24.5 grains of Varget and the 75 gr BTHP would end up being my GoTo load in that barrel...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lucked out when I bought this savage it is the 10 fp,it shoots about anything I put in it.About every time I shoot it at the range someone wants to buy it,that says a bunch for the rifle.
I don't varmit hunt just shoot it at the range.we have a yearly 300 yd egg shoot which I won last year with the rifle shooting 40 gr bt,but this year got beat by letting a fellow shoot my savage 260 which he busted 4 eggs in a row with it.And this was the first time he had shot the rifle.The savages are awesume.
This below is a 300 yd group with the rifle and a 55 gr bullet.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can try H4895, N540 and N140.

I used them with success.

Giovanni

Posts: 22 | Location: Italy | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I shoot IMR4895 with 75 and 77 grain bullets with great success.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote