New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just ordered a Ruger hawkeye lightweight in 257 Roberts.Any suggestion for a good load for this caliber?I own a .243,260 and a 7-08 so I really don't know why I bought this gun.Just never owned one.Anybody else shoot a .257 Robert ?

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojave:
Just ordered a Ruger hawkeye lightweight in 257 Roberts.Any suggestion for a good load for this caliber?I own a .243,260 and a 7-08 so I really don't know why I bought this gun.Just never owned one.Anybody else shoot a .257 Robert ?

a load fro what? varmints, coyotes, deer, hogs, elk, plinking, targets?? need more data to make an informed suggestoin.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Just do a search (Find) for 257 Roberts & 257 Bob loads, on this site and you find plenty of info

Lots & lots of us shot the Bob & Bob AI, you will enjoy it

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My deer load is 38gr of Varget under a Sierra 100gr SBT. Excellent accuracy out to 300yds.
my suggestion is to back off 1.5gr and work up.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the reply.My wife going to use this gun for blacktail deer.My favorite powder has been IMR4350 powder but think it's to slow of a powder for a 20" barrel.My primary source of loading data is Ken Waters pet load book but have been told it's dated.I guess I'm dated too.All these new powders these days it's hard to choose from.

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
imr4350 is a good powder but i ve used h414 @43 grains with a hornady 117 grain bullet for many years in three rifles 20 22 & 24 barrels

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfield texas | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my wifes uncle killed a train load of mule deer and elk with a mod 70 257 roberts.and his grandson is carring on his legacy with that rifle.Great choice.

Posts: 41 | Location: oregon | Registered: 11 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Mojave,
I find that IMR4064 works very well with Hornady or Sierra 100gr. bullets. I have a M77 MkII Ultra Light so I also shoot the 20" bbl. Varget and IMR4064 have almost the same burn rate so you can take your choice. My rifle seems to have a slight preference for the IMR powder.

I seat the bullets about .020 off the lands and use a Lee factory crimp die for best accuracy.

Have patience when working with the pencil thin barrel on the Ruger Ultralight. I find that waiting several minutes with the action open between shots on even three shot groups will help tighten up the groups. These barrels heat up pretty quickly and the POI tends to wander with increasing heat in the barrel.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody else shoot a .257 Robert ?

I just bagged a nice mulie with a .257 Roberts shooting a 117 grain SST from Hornady. Distance a bit over 250 yards.

One shot and dead deer!

I've used a .25-06 for years but the Bob stands toe to toe with it!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojave:
My primary source of loading data is Ken Waters pet load book but have been told it's dated. I guess I'm dated too. ...
Big Grin You may find "newer" starting data, but you won't find any better starting data - anywhere! Wink

Welcome Aboard!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
mojave wrote:
quote:
My favorite powder has been IMR4350 powder but think it's to slow of a powder for a 20"

That's simply a myth and is not true. For example, in a 6.5x.308 (aka .260 Rem) XP with a 14" barrel, the powder which gave me the best velocity and accuracy with 120 grain BTs was H4350 -- the very same powder that gave me the best velocity and accuracy in a 26" Rem VLS.

IMR4350 is a terrific powder for the Roberts. Don't overlook it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMR4350 is a terrific powder for the Roberts. Don't overlook it.

+1...mine shoots great with IMR and 100 NBT, 100 TSX & 120 Gamekings. IMR is a great powder.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Shooters?
I load 45 gr. H4350, 100 gr nosler ballistic tips in the bobs.

my "go to" load in the ruger hawkeye in 257 bob is 110 gr. accubonds and 43 gr. H414.
Shoots good groups. +/- 2800 fps velocity,
kills stuff dead

Although I do not consider myself to be a "bob" nut, a couple more have followed me home.
GWB

Rem 700 CDL, SF, 75 Anniversary edition
Custom heavy barreled Sako L579

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
+1 for H414, I love the way ball powders meter

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote