THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5 Grendel, how is it doing?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel, how is it doing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what do you guys think of its future?
will they ever make bolt-actions for it?

(i really like its paper ballistics and it sure looks like a sweetie).

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedI may not be an envisionary ,but I see no need for it as a sporting round. The field is over crowded now and a capital expendeture to promote a bolt action rifle at this time of ecconomic termoil does not seam real. JMHO. thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ527 has been rebarreled in the Grendel cartridge by some gunsmiths, but conventional bolt actions have room for more capable cartridges such as 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5x55, and 6.5 Remington Magnum. If the Grendel has a future it will be in assault rifles and squad automatic weapons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche ; I must agree with Roger on this point .

X2 thumb

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered brass, dies, reamer and a Lilja barrel for one...

Mind you, I have a specific purpose for this cartidge. The boneheads, that run our local matches on my range, decided to exclude all calibers below 6.5 mm.... I'm building the 6.5 Grendel in protest to show them it does not matter what rules they invent, somebody will always be able to come up with a round to beat them. Wink

I'm hoping it will shoot well. Once chambered, the barrel is intended to go onto one of my Sako A1, single shot rifles currently chambered in 6mm PPC. Should be a sweet combination!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. What are the paper ballistics for the round ... I am very interested in an ar 15 in the caliber as it would make an execellent fur round for wolves if it will give 27-2800 fps with a 110 gr bullet .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are the paper ballistics for the round

These sights can give you some info.
http://www.65grendel.com/
http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've built both an AR and a CZ527 in the Grendel. The AR is for myself if I choose to shoot a deer with it, I used a takeoff Krieger from a HP rifle and it shoots 1/2 MOA rather easily. The CZ is for my daughter to use as her first deer rifle (she's 3 right now), and that little thing sure is a handy little rifle. I still have to bed and finish the stock on it, but it's going to be one sweet little rifle.

I also made an AR in the Grendel for a good friend of mine, and he's shot 3 deer last fall with it and it performed very well with 120gr Nosler BT's.

As to it's future? I don't think it will go very far, but that doesn't mean it's not a handy cartridge in a suitable firearm that won't house something bigger. That is a fairly small collection of arms admittedly, but I do like the my AR with a lighter weight 18" barrel and a mid-length FF tube.

I like the round, although I've always been partial to 6.5mm and for whatever reason just don't care for the 6.8...never warmed up to the .270 caliber.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. Ya those military guys who made the 6.8 ????????????????????????????????????????

Why not just a standardized 6.5 that works in an AR , like the 6.5 Grendel .....
Thanks for the links Ramrod 340 ...

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
... OK so it should do around 2600 fps with a 110 gr bullet from an 18" barrel and possibly 2700 from a 24" barrel .......That would be pretty useful velocity considering the higher b.c..

As a fur rifle it should work well ...Not so fast it blows up hides but fast enough to not drift in the wind too much or make the lead to great on a running shot .....

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Although it is slightly superior to the 6.8spcRemington, it will not be the commercial success that the Big Green round has been and is enjoying. Ruger has introduced the 6.8spc in both the Mini-14 and now the Compact Hawkeye M77.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they will chamber the mini 14 in the 6.5 Creedmor .... Not that I dislke the 6.8 but the 6.5 is pretty standardized and should work well on fur with a sbt solid ........ The 270 automatic is just a little too big to be in between .......

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I was wondering why they didn't use the 6.5 BR indstead...

as far as the 6.8 SPC, I was also wondering why they didn't use the old 25 Remington instead...
or a 7mm version of it, as opposed to the 6.8 or 270 bore...

I am aware of a local gunsmith who redid a mini 14 for chambered for a 6 BR for his coyote gun...and was speaking of doing a 7 BR in the same set up...I've held his 6 BR version of the mini 14...

If I was a mini 14 kinda guy, I'd have gone for one...

just don't get the idea of the PPC case in an automatic, when the .473 case head is so commonly used in this country in a million other cartridges...

as Capt Dave Funk posted above.. I have to admit, a Ruger Hawkeye Compact in the 6.8 SPC.. that ought to be a nifty little rig!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Just trying to understand - I have thim impression that 270 bullets are a bit strong for medium velocity cartridges, being designed with the 270Win in mind. The 6.8 was designed as a military caliber so that would not be a consideration. Right?

Anyway, what stops anyone from chambering for a 6.5/6.8? If the 6.8 is here to stay ..... ?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:

Anyway, what stops anyone from chambering for a 6.5/6.8? If the 6.8 is here to stay ..... ?

Money and good sense. Eeker

Keep the straight lines coming. rotflmaoroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Just trying to understand - I have thim impression that 270 bullets are a bit strong for medium velocity cartridges, being designed with the 270Win in mind. The 6.8 was designed as a military caliber so that would not be a consideration. Right?

The 6.8 is using bullets in the 115 grain range and down...

most of the hunting loads are recommending the 110 grain V Max or the 110 Grain Sierra SP, which are considered varmint bullets, but they are being ran at lower velocity, so they will actually perform closer to a big game bullet at those lower velocities...

you don't see them loaded with 130 to 160 grain bullets at all.. they won't work in those actions lengths you find the cartridge chambered for anyway...

I go back to the concept.. a 6.5 Br chambered with a 100 grain SP or Ballistic Tip style bullet would be better suited.. or the 95 grain V Max...

I think a 100 grain 25 grain Rem would have been a better choice...of course the military doesn't want to adopt a round that was developed at the time of the 30/06....

so they shorten the case, chamber it in something different, and call it a new development... well there are plenty of folks that they are fooling with it being a 'New' concept....

but we are basically looking for 30/30 capacities, with a faster velocity and flatter trajectory than the 30/30, by using lighter bullets and spitzer shapes...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just discovered something interesting...

i was bored and was reading in 'ladeboken 6', and found out that the Grendel is more or less a ballistic twin with the 6.5x55 Krag-loads.
(120gr at 2600-2730fs from a 28" barrel).

just a little fun fact for the 6.5 nerds here.

posted Hide Post
I hear the American gun co is coming out with a new mini action in 6.5 and in 6.8spc in there switch barrel gun.It was at shot show.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:
i just discovered something interesting...
the Grendel is more or less a ballistic twin with the 6.5x55 Krag-loads.
(120gr at 2600-2730fs from a 28" barrel).

Yea, I was studying on that too. Looks to me like an interesting little cartridge, in the right action. I have one being assembled on a mini-mauser action which has a timney trigger and gentry safety. The bolt face is set up for the 7.62x39. Of all the cartridges that I know of that will fit into these little actions, the 6.5 Grendel looks to me to be the best performer. It's got a lot of performance for such a small package. A 120gr bullet ought to be effective on deer and the lighter bullets for coyotes, and other small critters. I am going to follow through with this project, then I'll know more.
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds great, hopefully you will upload some pics of it when its finished.

which action are you using?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It's a mini-mauser - the Charles Daly model. I didn't like it until I changed the trigger, and had a gunsmith put on a Gentry safety. That transformed the action. But I suspect it didn't transform it enough. I'm a little concerned about feeding, but my gunsmith assures me it's not going to be a problem. We'll see. I have a lot of money in just the action to be in the situation of not knowing for sure it will work out.

I bought one of the Anderson bottom metal units from this forum, to use on the action. Also, I don't like that skinny bolt handle, so I'm considering having it replaced. So this really adds up. Should produce some stunning photos to upload though. Hopefully if will be as useful and good as it going to look.

I would like to use a walnut stock, but I already have one of the MPI fiberglass blanks. So I may just use that until I can get the right wood stock. The MPI is really light and slim, and it might make a good pattern to clone in walnut.

I got some of the Wolfe factory ammo, and the bullets are seated out too far to fit into the magazine. I don't know if they are standard length, or if the Alexander ammo is shorter. Of course I can handload and seat the bullets to the proper OAL.

The magazine box is set up for the 7.62x39 which has a good deal of taper in the cartridge, and thus feeds very well. The Grendel is more straight sided, but not as much as the PPC cartridges. At least that's the way it looks to me. Hopefully the Grendel will feed well.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I read up that the Grendel was designed specifically to fit the AR15 as a long range target round and to handle a wide range of bullet weights. The range of bullet weights is achieved by the design of the throat. This would make the chambering a good one I should think? I also read up on the 6.5 BRM which was designed specifically as a 'bench rest accuracy' hunting cartridge. The write up said it was an exellent performer on game with mild report and recoil, using a 140gr bullet at around 2450fps. This is the velocity range of the Grendel, so .....

There is a claim of a Grendel chambered AR15 target rifle shooting a five shot string at 600yds, with witnesses, that hit a tennis ball sized target!

The mini-mauser rifle chambered in 6.5 Grendel has got my attention! Good luck with your project, Kabluewy. That might be just the ticket for me for the future when normal weight rifles get too heavy to carry around all day! (Even if it means giving up on rimmed cartridges). Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote