New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Post! .17/.357 mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just lost a dear friend. His widow and family presented me with one of his rifles. It shoots a .17 built on .357 mag pistol brass. I have a couple dozen loaded rounds and some brass. I have never reloaded before, so this will be an advanture...

Hope to find dies and load data with his stuff, but in case I can't:

-Anyone know if there is an "official" name for this cartidge? Again, .357 mag pistol brass necked down to .17 (must take a LOT of steps!)

-Anyone know a source for dies?

-Anyone know a source for load data?

-Anyone know anything about ballistics for this cartridge?

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Dave:

You have come into possession of a unique chambering. Contact Todd Kindler at the Woodchuck Den [check the web]. Ask Todd for the phone number of a guy in Iowa named Dick
Saunders. As I recall, Saunders has shot this particular wildcat alot and publishes a small reloading manual. Saunders can tell you all you want to know about the cartridge. BTW, I'll be "dollars to donuts" that either RCBS or Redding makes a die for this wildcat. They probably do not have one on the shelf mind you, but I'll bet it is one that they manufacture on request.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
think i saw dies for it in my last redding catalogue...i'll check it out and get back to you.

[ 12-23-2002, 00:53: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely it is a 17 base on the 256 win thats a 357 neck to 25 cal. would be a easy step to make it 17.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DAve,

Get a chamber cast made; with the measurements it will much easier to determine which cartridge it is chambered for.

Doesn't the barrel have a cartridge designation stamped on it? It may be under the fore-end...

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looked under the forened--no barrel markings.

I have about a hundred formed brass, all say .357mag. I'm certain its pistol cartridges necked down to .17. I had been shooting with the owner a few times before he passed away. He told me it was .357 necked down. There may be dies and load info in his estate stuff. But I'm hoping to find additional sources just in case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ok, looking at my redding catalogue i see listings for .17rem, .17 Ackley hornet, .17 bumble bee, .17 ackley bee,.17 mach IV, .17 Javalina, .17 He Be, .17 PPC, .17/.221, .17/.222, .17/.222 mag, .17/.223, and .17 BR.

sorry no .17/.357 mag [Frown] ...not unless it's listed under a different designation

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would also be called a 17/22 jet imp. I think there was 32 and 40 degree shoulders on them. I have saunders load data, I'll make you a copy and send if youd like. I also have form dies, RCBS. I've never made any from 357, but have from .256 win, and jets, then blow them out again. I have made 256's from .357 brass, so obviously they can then be necked down to 17 from there. The die set is expensive, as there is a neck reamer and all involved. What happened to the dies the fellow had with the rifle? Is it a martini cadet? or some other SS?
Drop me an e-mail, I'll try to help you get it shooting.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave R:
....17 built on .357 mag pistol brass.

-Anyone know if there is an "official" name for this cartidge? Again, .357 mag pistol brass necked down to .17 (must take a LOT of steps!)

-Anyone know a source for dies?

My notes list a 17 JET with a reference to Guns & Ammo Magazine, 1985 March, page 68, but I noted that there is no picture.

Another note refers to Handloader magazine #211 (June-July 2001) page 46. Ross Seyfried talks about case forming. On page 47 there is a picture showing taking a 357 down to 17 in three steps by necking, and also necking a 22 Jet to 17 and then fire-forming.

My 2001 HUNTINGTON's catalogue shows a 17 Super Jet (.17-22 Saunders). Their web site is

www.huntingtons.com

As some of the other posters have implied, don't assume anything. If you cannot locate the dies in the estate which had the rifle, send a fired case (or two) and/or a chamber cast to which ever company you decide will supply your dies.

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine built one of these on a Martini Cadet action. I believe he called it a .17 Ackley Jet. I hope you find the forming dies for this rifle from the estate- I believe his forming dies cost him around $300 and he had to form in about 4 steps total. Takes quite awhile, but it is a real fun cartridge to shoot. - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any resources handy but Ross Seyfried writes about this cartridge rather fondly...called it a 17-357. It's precisely a .357 necked down to .17 in several steps as has been mentioned. I believe his dies were Reddings.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I remember something about this round in my loadbook for the TC Contender, but I recently moved and there's no possible way for me to find the book. Maybe a post on the single shot pistol forum on this board? or the reloading forum

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
I once saw an article in one of the gun magazines about a short barreled .17/44 that was built by Steve Harrett. As I recall there was a photo of him and his gun in a golf cart, he used it to shoot chucks between holes.

[ 01-04-2003, 09:44: Message edited by: Hutt ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good cartridge for that purpose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Capt Nemo, I checked out the Huntingtons site and couldn't find anything on 17 Super Jet or 17 Saunders. It may be in the catalog but not on the web site. Can you check the catalog, and if its there, give me a page number and maybe a price?

And BTW, the rifle IS a Martini-Henry action.

[ 01-05-2003, 08:30: Message edited by: Dave R ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you check the catalog, and if its there, give me a page number and maybe a price?

Huntington 2001 retail catalog, page 50, part # 56019, 17 Super Jet (.17-22 Saunders), Die Group G.

In 2001, die group G was selling for $110 US plus shipping. It is listed as "Special Order".

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Captnemo!