New
Find
Notify
Tools

swedish mauser-$325??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
saw one at the gun show today-blue was in good shape on the reciever, all #'s match, the bolt was silver color, the barrel had some worn spots, the stock was in good shape, but has a raised cheek piece which I am not real crazy about- bore and rifling looked OK, but I did not look real close (worst case it needs a new barrel) and it wore an old weaver K4 scope that was in fair shape.

I have been tossing around the idea of acquiring a short barrel light gun to chase deer with and have my sites set on a ruger compact, a rem model 7, or one of these swedish mausers. I have a hard time finidng these little guns used-saw a worn out remington model 7 in .243 going for $475-don't figure that gun will go anywhere but back home with the current owner at that price- but anyway I might slip back out there towards the end of the day and see if I can get the fellow to make a deal on it.

what do ya'll think would be a good price lets say if the barrel upon further inspection is fine as is...same question if the barrel stinks.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
save for the scope i bought 2 that were very similar...one was a 1907 Gustaf for $150 the other was 1917 Gustaf for $200 both Mod 96 and all matching #s. Straight stocks on both and perfect bores.

this was five years ago and now I see them going for much more. Fun gun but load 'em up mid level and go for it. Small ring Mausers can't handle modern high pressures.

Don't spend more than $250......

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three old M96 Swedish Mausers from 1900, 1907 and 1917. I purchased them cheap and made winter projects of finishing and restoring them one each year. I'm amazed at how good these old 6.5x55s shoot. Then again, the Swedes didn't get into a lot of wars so the rifles are usually in much better shape than the hard presed M98s of Germany. They're easier enough to make into sporters. Several companies make stocks for them. Actually I find the actions much stronger than we think. The Scandanavians still load them up pretty stiffly for moose and deer. Many people are afraid of them as indicated by the data in reloading manuals. Just have a good gunsmith check the rifle out for you. I doubt that you'll be disappoited. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

sounds like to me, you are finding out what I did about 3 to 4 yrs ago. Gun shows are a lousy place to find a good used rifle. Most of these guys act like any piece of junk they own is some sort of classic, or " General Custer Personally Carried this Winchester Model 70 at the Battle of the Little Big Horn!"

As one gunsmith told me, and it fit. Now you know why they call them Gun SHOWS. About all they do is show what they have, seems no one is interested in selling anything, or they would have some sort of realistic price on them. I don't even waste my time at gun shows any more.

Why pay $5.00 to see the same junk you saw two years ago, for a cheaper price, ( that was even overpriced then)?

NOt this kid.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Don't spend more than $250......

yea, that is kinda what I was thinking! might just hold out for something else...