THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Bullets for grey squirrel in 17hmr

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for grey squirrel in 17hmr
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up a used Savage 93 with a Nikon 4x32 rimfire scope in near perfect condition in 17hmr. I had planned on a 22lr for squirrel hunting and varmit control but this one (left hand) fell in my lap. Question is what type of ammo is best for squirrel without blowing it apart?

Posts: 166 | Location: NY | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Al has done a lot of testing of .17HMR bullets. Look at his page for some good info. CCI makes, I think, a couple of bullets that will be harder than the plastic tip ones. I never used my .17HMR for squirrels, but I've seen reports of extensive damage from the plastic tip bullets.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a few tree rats with a 17HM2, resulting in much damage if shot through the body. Shot 'em in the heads if you want to eat 'em or shoot 'em anywhere if you're just selling the tails to Mepps.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20 grain FMJ in the 17 HMR... no expansion..

the rest have a lot of expansion/explosive performance..

the 20 FMJ also make a dandy bullet to do a head shot on an animal if you have to dispatch them...( don't read this as stating it is an ideal poaching bullet!!! there is always one in the crowd..)

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah FMjs are really the only way to go for edible game...

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever shoots most accurate with your gun!

FMJ's aren't legal in all states for hunting, I know in WI they are NOT legal for any type of Hunting. Check your game regulations.

The 17 HMR is supper accurate out to 100 yards take head shots only and it won't matter,...a hit anywhere else is going to make a mess out of a squirrel regardless of the bullet.

Good luck,..you are going to love the .17HMR!

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote