THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: .260 rem vs .270 vs .308--too much overlap?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .260 rem vs .270 vs .308--too much overlap?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a very interesting thread. I have a .308 Win Model 7 and have tested the .260 Rem for a magazine article.

I like the .308 because it is extremely versatile. Lately I have been hunting with a .300 SAUM, but I have killed lots of deer, bears, and red stag with a .308. My .308 had a factory 18.5 inch barrel, but I rebarreled to 20 inches and prefer that length.

Funny, I have only owned 1 .30-06 in my life. It does everything, but it doesn't do anything particularly better than other calibers. I own 3 .300 RUMs and shoot them and my .308 a lot at long range. The RUMs only have an 85 yard advantage over the .308 Win when it comes to wind, which is the thing that causes more long range misses on the practice range than anything (at least for me).

The .308 does punch you. Mine kicks more than my SAUM, which has a muzzle brake. In my SAUM, I can sometimes see my bullet hit when I shoot sitting with a tight sling as long as the range is at least 400 yards and I shoot at rocks.

I thought about getting another Model 7 in .243; I thought it would be the ultimate coyote rifle, but now if I do that, I might just get a Ruger International.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I've got a Model 70 in the 270 and until I gave it to my son, had a super fine .308 as well.

As you are a non-reloader, the .308 is the way to go. It is one of the most versatile rifles out there and will always be that way.

The .260 is a good round but questionable if it will even survive as an over-the-counter gun. It's for sure going to be a handloader's rifle. (Really it already is.)

7 mms are a nice caliber, but silly for a guy with a 270. What's the advantage of getting a rifle to shoot .280 bullets when you already have one of the best there is shooting .277? .003" isn't going to do anything for you.

I'm thinking you might consider a .243 instead of the 260. The .243 will do fine on deer and antelope on down and do it with less recoil than either the .308 or a 260.

The problem with .243's is usually guys using the WRONG bullets for the game. A good HEAVY bullet for deer and antelope and the light explosive stuff for the varmits and you'll have yourself a hell of a rifle with good over-the-counter availability.

Don't get too light a .308 as they can start kicking with the heavier bullets. An excellent choice for a .308 would be the CZ American. Beautiful rifles, 24" bbl, and about 7 1/2 lbs w/o scope.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pecos, Not to be picky here but the 7mm is .284!!! The .270Win is .277! That's 7/1000s not 3/1000s as you stated ".280" was the diameter!
As far as the "6's" go......varmint bullets!!! All of them!! Now let's see the natives get fired up!!! GHD PS: Whitetail deer need to be labeled as "varmints" here in the east for about about 2 years!!!! Shoot the bastards like groundhogs!!!! Then maybe the population would get a bit more in balance and then "deer hunting" would be a little more like hunting than "deer shooting!!!" The "6's" would be ok in that scenario!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote