THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Powder for Barnes 223 Rem load

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for Barnes 223 Rem load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
I need to find a powder that will shoot Barnes bullets accurately out of a 223 Rem. I am limited to non-lead bullets because of California law and have been unable to develop a load that is accurate (<MOA) out of my Rem 700 with a 1 in 9 Douglas barrel. So far I have used H4895 and H335. The Barnes Varmint Grenades in both 36 and 50 grains give me about MOA but the TSX in 42,53 and 62gr are all around 2 inches at 100 yards. I have used Bergers and Hornadys with this rifle and it shoots them to sub MOA but the Barnes just seem to refuse. I've heard good things about BLC(2) and Varget. Any others you think I should try?
BTW this is not at all a knock on Barnes TSX. Both my 375 and -06 shoot them to <MOA.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try Nosler's new lead free bullet BT lead free http://www.nosler.com/btleadfree.htm
or Hornady new lead free NTX bullet http://www.hornady.com/store/22-Cal-.224-gr-NTX/

The powders you are using are usually very accurate in a .223, but if a different powder is needed Ramshot TAC, VV133, VV135, VV540 would be on my short list to try.

I am sure you are aware some gun just hate certain style bullets. I have two identical Browning Abolt II .204 Ruger guns one will shoot Nosler 40 grain bullets in a very tight group the other one I can get a better pattern with sawed off shotgun. Guns are like women unpredictable!

After doing some more reading I am afraid the bullets I listed are lite for what you are trying to accomplish.
Good Luck!

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
From Barnes #4
With a 53 grain TSX, its lists H4895 as its most accurate load. Have you played with bullet depth seating or backed off the load a smidge?
Varget max load is a compressed load at 3,247.
BL-C(2) max load (27.5gr) drives the TSX at 3,335 and shows a 94% load density. That's where I'd go.
Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BLC-2, Accurate 2230, H335, and Varget all worked well for me in 223/5.56. The only Barnes I shoot in 223 is the TSX 70gr.

Varget ans Accurate 2230 are both good to go for 70gr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think i got best results with the max load of TAC, but that was for the 62 grain bullets.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
My experience with Barnes TSX bullets in .223s is that seating depth is every bit as critical as which and how much powder. Imaginge that! Just like every other caliber.

Seriously. If you get up near max and the group seems to come in a little it's time to start moving them in and out. If you start at .050 off and it won't come into an inch with a know good rifle, then I try .010 off next. If that doesn't shoot then I back off to 060 and keep stepping back .010 at a time until I find it.sometimes it's well past .100.

Sometimes the rifle will throw an absolute hissy fit if it isn't right and drop in like it's magic with a little more. I have one gun that will throw 8 inch groups if the depth is .010 too much or too little. Dime size groups at the sweet spot.

I have seen guns that were not the least bit picky with TSX/TTSXs but most of them need some fiddling. One of my '06s will shoot TTSXs into an inch with anywhere from 51 to 54 grains of Varget and it seems not to matter much if they ore .030 off or .080 off, but that isn't normal to what I have seen.

Dave

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Oh, I prefer BLC-2. Varget is not dense enough IMO.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I'll try BLC2 next and see what I get. On the seating depth issue, I have run these bullets from touching to .075 back in .005 increments which is what got me down to the groups I'm getting now. Have also tried switching primers, etc. Hope the powder works. If not, I'll try the other no-lead bullets.
Thanks! Cool

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote