THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Opinions please... small bore cartridge of choice.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Opinions please... small bore cartridge of choice.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since you have a SHORT action my first choice would be a 250Sav Imp. if you handload. If you don't load my choice would be a 260 Rem. JMHO

Posts: 76 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You've hit on one of my top contenders so far, the 6.6x55. I've also given some thought to the 6.5x284 and even the .257 Roberts, both stand and Ackley Improved versions. Good thing the action is taking so long to get here... I can't saeem to make up my mind!

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT SO FAR!

Posts: 21 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Try the ole 6.5x55, you won't regret it. It just plain works and you use bullets from 85 to 160 grains. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

It will be used primarily for deer and antelope. Also, I like to keep my shots under 300 yards if possible..

Retic

The choice of camerbings is 6,5X55, 6,5X64 Brenneke(6,5-270win). 6,5-284, 6,5X57 or 270 winchester. All these cartridges will work fine for antelope or deers. With lighter bullets they will also become good vermin cartridges.

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I'd like a 6.5x55, but it's a long action cartridge if you want to seat the heavier bullets to proper overall lengths.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the answer to your question is.................7mm-08

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
What about the good old ,243 win?
Exellent allrounder in the light class!

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you go with 25/06 you have a 25 that you don't have to fireform. i have one that shoots sub .500 at 200yds. regularly(if old hands and eyes do their job). i am always amused by these polls. we are truly an opinionated groupand that's a good thing!!!! good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm anxiously awaiting my MRC1999 short action and am STILL debating how to chamber it! It will be used primarily for deer and antelope. Also, I like to keep my shots under 300 yards if possible so I don't feel I need a real long range scorcher!

I've got a 7mm Rem and a 358 Norma for larger game already...

My thinking is either a .257 Roberts AI or a 6.5x55... what are some other thoughts? I do handload so factor that into the equation and I'm not too worried about overall cost to shoot.

Thank You,

Posts: 21 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since that action will weigh about 45 oz consider a 6mm Rem or 220 Swift with a 26" barrel. That will make a nice long range varmint rig. There is far more shooting at varmints than game and the weather is better. You can even do it in the summer after dinner!

I now prefer the sporter weight 26" barrels to the varmint weight.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Retic,

You can not go wrong with either one of the cartridges you mentioned. They both are great fun to shoot and are effective with little recoil. The M1999 short action is an ideal choice for either as the magazine box is the perfect length. The 6.5 may offer a few more choices in bullet weight but either will do nicelly for the uses you mentioned. Hope you will show us the finnished product.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the 6.5x55. The MRC SA is *just* long enough to take this cartridge - the advantage of MRC deciding to make their SA a tad longer than normal. The box length of the SA is 3.150". Even if you want to leave a tad extra space to load out your bullets when your throat might get eroded, you could chamber for the 140 grs NP loaded just about the base of the case neck (OACL about 3.060 - 3.100). Chambering for that bullet seating will still allow 125 grs NPs to seat very nicely - I have not tried lighter bullets.

All in all, I think the MRC SA should work well with the 6.5x55, provided you make sure your chamber is cut accordingly. Btw, the above OACLs should also allow most (if not all) factory loads to be used.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jedi
posted Hide Post
Retic. I agree with all those who reccomend you to choose the 6.5x55

Here in Norway we have lots of experience with this cartridge. It's a very accurate number. Here in Scandinavia it is a very common choice, - as where you live it's exotic. Even if it's considered common (and boring, because of this), very many still choose it, mostly because of its versatility as a hunting round and its accuracy potential and mild recoil. The 6.5 bullets have a very high BC also (from ca. 130 - 140 gr.), and would be less sensitive for wind than many other calibers.

As a very good alternative, with easier access to ammo where you live and very good performance (with many good bullets available) I would reccomend the 7mm-08 Rem. Its accuracy potential is just as great as for the 6.5x55.

And finally the .260 Rem would be very close to a 6.5x55 in the action you are going to use.

This ended up with being a reccomdation of three cartridges.

(don't be afraid of making "a standard/boring choice" it might be a very good reason for it being standard. Here, where I live, this goes for the 6.5x55).

Non standard: You considered the .257 Rob. AI - I have heard only great things about this round.

You may also choose the 6.5x55 Bob Jourdan AI. This one will be very close to the 6.5-284 Norma.

Jarett (of Jarett rifles) highly reccomends the 7mm-08 AI and the .243AI (this last one shoots lazer-flat, - but would burn out your barrel very fast).

Posts: 52 | Location: Elverum, Norway | Registered: 04 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would go 6.5x55 or 6.5x.284 if the action allows you to seat out near 3.00". Alot of match bullets available & can be a dcent varminter as well. The .243 is a nice varmint cart. but I like bigger for deer/antelope.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my 6.5x55 here in Canada for moose and black bear and certainly do not feel undergunned. In both cases it does the job nicely. We're sort of hung up on a bigger is better thing in North America and it really isn't necessary.
The 160gr SPSP will dispatch anything we're likely to encounter except some of the western bears. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is mention of doubling as a varmint gun,and I understand this. But what type varmint shooting? For example shooting jackrabbits at night from inside a pickup is popular here. I had access to 55 sections and 100 jacks in a night was not unheard of. I dont want to shoot even a .243 100 times a night nor be in a pickup with someone else doing it. Exception to this is using cast bullets. Less noise and recoil. I do like your choices of .257 Roberts and 6.5X55.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote