THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Accuracy of Ruger 77/22 v Kimber, etc...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy of Ruger 77/22 v Kimber, etc...
 Login/Join

posted
How accurate is the Ruger 77/22 in .22LR compared to the other full-size rimfires? What would you suggest instead of the Ruger for a small game/plinking rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jsrieck: if i were you in the same situation, i would do what i did a few years ago when selecting a new 7x57mm. I first looked at all the manufacturers who made rifles in the caliber, then i searched this and other forums to see what others, who actually had the rifle, were saying about it. one of the inherent dangers in this approach, however, are the shooters who buy said rifle, get a lemmon and loudly proclaim that they wouldn't take another rifle of the same make if someone gave it to them. this attitude might hold validity if the same shooter bought three or so of the same model and all of them were dogs. on the other hand, when the same complaint keep cropping up about the same rifle by other shooters over and over again, then there is a pattern of problems you can take to the bank. in the reverse order, when you keep seeing praise of a particular manufacturer or model of rifle by shooter after shooter, the patten shows there is something good in the model. so, my recommendation to do searches on this forum, and others, on each rifle you are interested in. A fellow I know in New Mexico has a 77/22 and he loves the thing. I have a preference for CZ products simply because of the search I conducted in 2000 on this forum and five other forums. I do not know anyone who owns a Kimber. Know a semi-pro gunsmith who shoots a Cooper and to hear him tell it, every bullet which travels down the barrel of that rifle is a magic bullet, certain to hit the other bullethole dead center. this question you asked is a good start, it will give you a few suggestions, but more homework is needed, in my humble opinion. in any event, the best of luck to you in your search for a rifle. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, let me say that I really like the design and contours of the Ruger 77/22. Next, let me say that they are notoriously variable in accuracy. Typically, a lot of work has to be done on one (trigger, bedding, bolt shimming, sometimes barrel replacement) to get it to shoot as you would want.

I have a Kimber of Oregon, and it's a ringer. Some say that the current Kimber is equally as good if not better.

The orginal Browning T-bolt was a great rifle, and it is being reintroduced (with an improved stock contour and double stack magazine). If the new one shoots as well as the orignial, it would be a great .22.

All that said, it is hard to beat a good automatic for a game and plinker .22. Marlin 99's are nearly always accurate. Ruger 10/22's, after reworking the trigger, are excellent.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I have a 77/22 and can make head shot on small game everytime out to 50 yards. Shooting CCI Velocitors it will stay within a one inch square for 10 shots everytime. Rabbits, crows and squirrels are still in danger out to about 100 yards if I take a good rest. I like the rotary magazine on Rugers better than any system I have ever tried for a 22. Plus, the Ruger has the same operating controls as my centerfire rifles so muscle memory during practice sessions easily transfers to my larger calibers. The Kimbers are beautiful, but I have never fired one.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got to go along with PWN375 I love the way the Ruger 77-22 are made like the centerfires.I also like the light weight and short bolt of the Kimber.Shooting on paper the Kimber wins ,but both can kill a squirl.The Kimber is out of the box stock.The Ruger has after market triger,floated barrel and glass bedded but it came with a 10 round mag and rings and at 1/2 the price.Oh shuckes get the Kimber no the Ruger or just forget the hole thing.I hope this helps.Dont you just love choosing? Get em both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anschutz. Nobody mentioned Anschutz. I have a Ruger 77/22 and an Anschutz. Both will shoot less than 1/2" at 50 yds with the good (read expensive) ammo. Read up on these at Rimfirecentral.com.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 77-22 has been head shot-accurate since I bought it about 25 years ago. It has a Leupold 2X7 with parallax adjusted to 50 yds and with Federal Match ammo it is a squirrel killer extraordinaire. And, I've done nothing to it re: trigger or bedding. Guess I was (am) just lucky.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a bad Ruger 77 /22 that went back to the factory 3 times before I finally got rid of it...

I have a 77/17 heavy barrel that shoots just great....

As mentioned above... by 7 x 57, I have a CZ 452, with the 24 inch barrel, and a Mauser type slide sight, that is some sort of training rifle with a real basic el cheapo wood stock on it...

However, that rifle is a tack driver and a half for a rimfire... with a 4.5 x 14 Simmons 4 x 4 scope on it, when my eyes get use to shooting targets that small, it can head shot sage rats at 125 yards with an 80 % plus consistency, using Walmart/Federal ammo....

My biggest complaint is the small 5 shot magazine and the price of replacement magazines...I would love it if I could convert a 25 shot magazine off of a 10/22 like you can with a 77/22... then life would be good in the big city!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have both a 77/22 and a Kimber. The accuracy and function of both is equal. The beauty, finish and lines of the Kimber excel but then that's what the extra bucks are for. The problem with Ruger is that they are inconsistent from one rifle to another. It would be fine if you could shoot one before you bought it.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
. It would be fine if you could shoot one before you bought it.
re. 77-22.

Failing that, try lots of different brands and velosity type ammo. Mine was an early model and is not fussed with most low velosity ammo.
Most Hi-Vel stuff, about an inch at 50yds. RWS HVHP more like 1/2", CCI Mini-Mags about 3/4".
I'm the biggest problem. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody mentioned Cooper! Expensive, yes, but I don't think a better combination of beautiful wood, workmanship and accuracy can be found. Their "classic" model is about half the cost of the higher grade sporting models. I coughed up the $ for a Western Classic several years ago, and have never regretted it. That fine rifle puts a smile on my face every time I take it out hunting, and it's a tack driver.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new 77/17, sporter weight. Accuracy is very poor at best. I'll have to belly up for a aftermarket barrel I suppose. I've seen a few CZ rimefires shoot at the range and was quite impressed.

I've had very good results with my two 77 VT centerfires though. My turn for a lemon I guess.

one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of these fine Ruger rifles. I must have been lucky when I bought them (years apart)as they are both just amazingly good shooters. The first one is a early M77 with blue and Walnut, and open sights, Scoped with a 4x scope. It is a great shooter. And the second is a Stainless (Target Grey) laminated with out sights, 3x9 scope on it. It is just about the most accurate rifle I ever owned. Scary Accurate. Almost no fun to shoot as you can hit everything you aim at... wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote