THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Steyr Pro Hunter - any experience?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr Pro Hunter - any experience?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted
Anyone have experience with the Steyr? I have long wanted a stainless steel rifle in 6.5x55, with a composite stock, mostly for whitetail deer and black bear. What is the Steyr's twist rate?

Nothing else seems as good a match. The Sako 75 seems heavy for my uses, the Winchester out of production and going for more than it's worth. The Tikka's stock is a little too long for me with no easy way to change it. I like the Steyr's easy pull adjustment.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holzauge,
I have a 6.5x55 Steyr Forester - the same action and barrel but with a wooden stock. It is very well balanced and super accurate with any load I feed it. It loves just about any 140 grain bullet (it loves the Federal Classic 140 grain load). I am not sure of the twist rate, but the trigger is fantastic on mine. It also feeds very smoothly. I think that a Pro-Hunter model in stainless steel and synthetic would be fantastic for whitetails. You will not be disappointed with the performance.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 rifleman:
holzauge,
I have a 6.5x55 Steyr Forester - the same action and barrel but with a wooden stock. It is very well balanced and super accurate with any load I feed it. It loves just about any 140 grain bullet (it loves the Federal Classic 140 grain load). I am not sure of the twist rate, but the trigger is fantastic on mine. It also feeds very smoothly. I think that a Pro-Hunter model in stainless steel and synthetic would be fantastic for whitetails. You will not be disappointed with the performance.

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at a pro hunter with synthetic stock and thought it was junk, the stock was so flimsy that it was a jokeyou could move the fore end around 10mm or more with just finger and thumb pressure, the wood stock versions do look nice and they all seem to shoot i too looked at the swede but went custom in the end.
B

Posts: 193 | Location: Uxbridge, Ontario | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumscratcher:
I looked at a pro hunter with synthetic stock and thought it was junk, the stock was so flimsy that it was a jokeyou could move the fore end around 10mm or more with just finger and thumb pressure, the wood stock versions do look nice and they all seem to shoot i too looked at the swede but went custom in the end.
B

that's right, the fore end with the standard synthetic stock seems to be a little weak, but for little extra money you can order a black fiberglass reinforced synthetic stock which is absolutely amazing. I have seven of the Pro Hunters with the black reinforced stock and I don't want to miss one of them...