New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington VS in 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was milling around my friends gun shop today and found a very nice remington 700 VS. Its barrel has been cut back to 20 inches with a nice recessed crown. It was also free floated and glass bedded as well as having a very crisp 2.5 pound trigger. The only mark I could find was a very small nick in the finish on the top of the barrel. Other than that, it appeared new in box. It also has rings and bases. He wants 500 for it out the door, is this a good price? Also if anyone has experience with this particular gun, please share as i have none and would like to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i'd say it is a fair price considering work that has been done. i doubt you could dig one up for $400. $450 seems the going rate for used so with his work i'd say you were saving $.
the 20" barrel is far handier to. the 26" pipe makes it hard to get out the window without breaking some glass
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shiloh: What a coincidence! I just this past Monday bought a Remington 700 Varmint Special in caliber 223 Remington! IT had IT'S barrel shortened to 20" and other than that was in 99% condition. I did a trigger job on it and replaced the Tasco 3x9 variable that was on it with a "testing scope". This testing scope is a Sightron 6x24 variable. I made a posting earlier this week on finding this bargain under the Varminting thread "Help I can't Decide"!
In short the Sport/Pawn shop I bought it from was asking $250.00 for the Rifle, Tasco scope, Leupold base and Leupold Rings. I was happy with the price and got it home cleaned it well and lapped the rings then put the big scope on it for load development.
I fired it about 60 times on Tuesday during two sessions that day and it really shot well! I tried 4 different bullets in my test handloads and it shot one amazing 5 shot group at 100 yards of .282". Please refer to the Varmint site for more particulars on the other groups it shot.
Now if I understand your reference to VS as the original wood stocked Remington Varmint Special made some time back then I would opine that it is over priced. To tell the truth I would have gone $350.00 maybe $360.00 for the nice little Varmint Special I bought.
If you are referring to a newer model with a fiberglass stock then the price is closer to realistic. But if you search I think you can find a new uncut barreled Rifle for little more money!
Remember there is always a reason folks sell Varmint Rifles! The worst case reason for selling is - because they do not shoot well! I hope the Rifle you are interested in was sold for some other reason.
If you do decide to buy it I wish you luck and I have a very good load for 223's and Varmint Hunting. I would be happy to send it to you if you get the Rifle.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wanna' make $50 on that 223?
that is a sick price. i wish we had a few shops around here like that........................
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much, varmint guy. It is the new model with a very cool looking fiberglass stock. This deal works out perfect for me cause if I baught one new I would have the barrel cut and and the I mentioned done on the rifle anyways so i figure im saving atleast $300 on the work done as it is. The gun values book says one in exc condition is worth 445 so im not that bad of in the price. I think I can get him done to 450 anyways. I'll let yall now if I get it, and I hope I do!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shiloh: I sure hope your Rifle (if you get it) shoots as well as mine does!
Maybe you could have the owner throw in a set of dies or a gun case or a sling? Anything to help with the cost coming down a tad.
Good luck in your dealings!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woofer: Yes indeed I was thrilled with the deal I made there. I normally see short action Remington 700's with asking prices for the Rifle alone in the $400.00 plus range. Whenever I can get one for $325.00 or under I move on it. The long action Remington 700's just do not seem to bring near as much as the short actions!
I think the pawn/sport shop owner put to much emphasis on the barrel being shortened on this S.A. Varminter and hence the lower price. I have a close friend out in NW Washington that owns a Gunstore. He buys Remington short action 700 Rifles from both wholesale and private sources and simply disassembles them - both the new Rifles and the used ones and then he sells the actions. The stocks and barrels sell much slower but he makes a large profit on the actions with the acoutrements selling later for more money! People really like to build custom Rifles on the short actions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the barrel has been cut? Remington made a few VS 223 rifles with 20" barrels........I have one in the safe! I have only seen two others like it, but I can guarantee mine is factory, I bought it new and it lists the barrel length as 20" on the end of the box!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote