Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm wildcats
 Login/Join

posted
i am looking for info on any of the 6mm wildcats based on the 221 fireball 357mag or 357 maximum cases

i know they exist but have not been able to find any ballistics info on them

have been considering the 25 caliber version based on these cases but the 243/6mm version seems to offer a much better variety of bullet choices

i want to shoot bullets in the 58 - 75 grain range but as i said i cant really find much info

feel free to email me

jim nagel
locust grove oklahomajimandann@sstelco.com

Posts: 2 | Location: OKLAHOMA GREEN COUNTRY | Registered: 23 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
my question would be any particular reason you want the 221 case?

The 6mm tcu is a great option for a 6mm wildcat. Mine is on a contender 16" bullberry, outstanding accuracy. Fun caliber.

3-7-77

posted Hide Post
no real particular reason just kinda fit the bill
looking for something in the 17-22 grain case capacity size

just a small step above the k-hornet

i know case forming for something like an improved 256 win mag can be a real pain
the 6mm whisper is kind of interesting

gonna look at gary reeders 250 gnr & 256 gnr

Posts: 2 | Location: OKLAHOMA GREEN COUNTRY | Registered: 23 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Some guy once created a 17/44mag and chambered a Martini Cadet in it. I also thought of a 6mm/357mag. Just one step up from the excellent little 22 Hornet. Then I reallized I could take the hornet up one step by loading it with 60gr bullets on top of Lil'Gun. Velocity is nearly 2600fps (more likely 2580). I have loaded hotter but found the primer flattening to be a little more than I liked and so dismantled those - but they were dynamite on hares! In a strong action, those loads would be fine. (My action also came chambered in 222). BUT - to keep pressure down, I do not size the neck. Instead I use a paper cup to hold the bullet in place ('glued' in with wax/lube mixture). Now my needs have shifted to a long range rifle so I am thinkin 6mm/303Brit or 25/303Brit on a No.4 action. Like you said, 6mm offers a better choice of bullets.

What action are you considering JIM?

Have you thought of a 6mm/30-30? Or using a shortened 30-30 case? Or even the 357 maximum case?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday 303Guy,

Why don't you try a 6.5/303. That would give you pretty much a 260 on the no4 action. It would be a very useful cartridge here and you could probably write an article on it and pop it off to Peter Maxwell who would prpobably give you some money for it to defray a few costs. He is always looking for interesting articles on different projects.

Just a thought.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with the 6x45 (6mm/223) It is a well balanced round and will work in about any small action. I like it so well that it and a 222 has been my only varmint rifles for years..I have also shot a heck of a lot of plainsgame in Africa and a lot of deer and antelope with it on this side of the big pond...It works great on big game if your careful and use a proper bullet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why don't you try a 6.5/303

That was actually my first choice but I couldn't find any info on it - I thought it did not exist. But now that you mention it .... Although, my needs have changed from an all round cartridge to a long range cartridge. But still .... it's a good suggestion! Mmmmm ..... But then I like the 6mm Musgrave too (243/303).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Jim, I did a wildcat many years ago for a Martini Kadet rifle. I called it "6MM Jakkel", and was simply a 256 Win Mag case necked down to 6MM with no other changes. I used a stiff almost cylindercal barrel 24" long,with a 1-12" twist, and use 75, and 80 gr Nosler bullets. That little rifle would put them all in the same ragged hole at 100 yds, and was death personafied on coyotes, and did a nice job on whitetail deer as well.

Later, I built a double rifle on a 28 ga S/S shotgun action, with 24" thin barrels that would put four shots, two from each barrel on a playing card at 100 yds, and was the best running jackrabbit, or coyote rifle I ever owned. I've never heard of anyone else doing this wildcat. Clymer cut the reamers, and RCBS cut the special dies for this little chambering. I sold the two rifles to the same man, and the dies, and reamers went with the rifles, so several could have been made, but I can't say for sure. Wish I still had both rifles! I can't remember the charge, but the powder I used for this cartridge was H-4227, and the charge was someplace around 13, or 14 grs.

I have a little 20 ga double shotgun that I've been thinking of doing another one, but I rather have a 28 ga.

.........The reason I used the 357 based case, is it is a flanged case, and works in most singleshots, and doubles flawlessly!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
MacD37, that is sooo interesting! a) A 6mm/357mag. and b) built on a shotgun action! I have been thinking of doing that sometime - when I get hold of a small enough action (and get my other projects done .... I can get hold of an old 410 hammer gun - there's an idea). I would like to know more about those "same ragged hole at 100 yds,"! No doubt it was a well built rifle with an exellent barrel. But for now it's a toss up for me between a 25-303 (or 257 Roberts) and the 6mm Musgrave for my No.4 action - which turns out to be a Savage.

P.S. would you still have the specs for your cartridge somewhere? Maybe,... just maybe, I might resurrect that idea .... Mmmm .... That would be perfect on a 410 action, don't you think ....

Regards
303Guy