THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .257 Roberts 100 gr t-shock kills !

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts 100 gr t-shock kills !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Forgive me if this post is a little goofy . Just woke up, after crawling into bed at 11 last night after a 4 day deer hunt in eastern oregon, and I can't belive how tired I am.
Anyway, I Passed up on a couple small bucks, the 1st 2 days, But the weather was getting awfull and and I decided the next decent buck i saw was going down. Took a 140 LB forked horn mule deer at a laser measured (afterwords)102 yards. Perfect brodside shot and placed the bullet right in the crease. I chamberd another round and my buddie says don/t shoot he.s going down. I looked up to see him fall on his back kick a couple times and die, within 5 seconds of the bang.
Later my frend says he saw blood from the entrance wound instantly. On 1st examination I found the entrance hole was bigger than the exit. Strange but not bad as the exit,was as big as a quarter. After gutting and hanging the deer, it was plain to see the bullet did a great job. On entrance the bullet exploaded 2 ribs and I think it was pieces of the ribs that opend the big entrance wound. Wen't clean through the heart and exited right through the point of the shoulder, destroying the shoulder on the off side but clearly staying together through the bone.
Load was 46.5 grains of H=414 under the 100 grain barnes tripple shock, with a Federal match primer. Velocity at the muzzle is 3140.
From my 20 inch Ruger 77 RL, witch along with the VX3 2.5 X 8, Preformed excelently inspite of alternating rain snow and sun as well as several rough falls by a certain clumsy old deer hunter. Can't ask for more than that, and I am completly satisfied with the preformance of all my equipment. Later today I will be picking up my custom 25,06 from my smith, and the 100 and 115 grain tripple shocks as well as the new 110 grain nosler accubond will be just the ticket for anything I can hunt with that rifle...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been debating on wether to get some of the 100 gr. tsx. My Roberts shoots very well with the 115 partitions, but I've not found any 100 it likes. My thinking is that the added length of the tsx just might make it work. Might even work in my .250-3000 Ruger.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice report. I have been queer for the .257 Bob (what we call it in Tx) for a long time. The Ruger has been my hang up but I think i am coming around.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Dick I have done alot of work on my little Robbie, Out of 6he box it frankly shot like hell, But i free floated the barrel and put in a timney trigger, and it it improved a lot. It still was only a decent shooter till I found a load it really liked. Since I setteled on the 100 Grain tsx H-414 load, I have tried some loads with IMR-4064, and results are promising. I would like to find a less expenve bullet for coyotes, and such. I might end up with another roberts, I would probably Build one on a 98 mauser, with a little longer than my 20 inch barrel. The ultra light ruger barrel heats up real fast and that makes load development a little tough...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas, how far off the lands did you seat your 100 gr. TSX?

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't measure in that way, My method is to seat it out close the bolt till the bullets stops it turn the die a little deeper. close it again and then when I can just close the bolt on a loaded round, I go in one full turn of the seating plug. ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
TJ, I just got one of those Stony Point dealies. Very cool but it accomplishes the same thing you do. I'm seating .056 off the lands on my 25-06 just because that seems to be where my die ends up. Going to shoot them this weekend.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ole_270:
I've been debating on wether to get some of the 100 gr. tsx. My Roberts shoots very well with the 115 partitions, but I've not found any 100 it likes. My thinking is that the added length of the tsx just might make it work. Might even work in my .250-3000 Ruger.

Have no fear the Barnes 100 gr. TSX works great in the .250 Savage. I have had excellent results in all my “Quarter Bores†including my bolt action .25 Remington. Excellent accuracy and penetration makes for one deadly combination. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote