THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    copper plating in the barrel *DELETED*

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

copper plating in the barrel *DELETED*
 Login/Join

posted
Post deleted by tbeasley1

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
tbeasley, all rifles (or pistols) shooting copper jacketed bullets get some degree of copper fouling on the bore surfaces. It can affect accuracy to varying degrees. Opinions abound as to whether to clean it, how often to clean it, and how to clean it. Probably more has been written on this board (and most other gun boards) about bore cleaning and break-in than any other topic. Look around at the archived threads a bit; there are several active discussions going on now.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree, with all of that, but as far as the copper platting involved, I was told that to much speed can actually plat the copper to the barrel lining decreasing barrel-life and really hard to clean

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I don't think bullet velocity has much to do with copper fouling. It's more a matter of the bore surface condition. If you look at copper-fouled barrels with a bore scope, quite a bit of fouling is to be found in the throat end of the barrel, where the bullet speed is low.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote