THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Twist rate of Remington 700 VLS

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate of Remington 700 VLS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
Does anyone know what the twist rate is on a 22-250 Rem Model 700 VLS? I know where a good deal is and was wondering. It is not on their website.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Rem Catalog all 22-250s are 1 in 14.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Does the slow twist mean that it will have a hard time shooting 55 or 60 gr bullets?

Do some of the other manufacturers come with a faster twist that might be better?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots 52s real nice and tight. Don't know about the other manufacturers. My Sierra book says you need a 9" twist with the 69gr and 7" with the 80 gr. I need to find a good deal on one so my wife will leave mine alone. I switch the barrels between a 708 and 22-250 so she can shoot. I like the 708 better.

The twist is in the Rem web site if you click the right buttons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should not have any problems with 55gr. bullets, 55 gr. V-Max's work fine in my 700 VS. 60 gr. is iffy and heavier will not stabilize.

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 14 twist is designed to shoot 55s and lighter. 60s are usually specific barrel dependent. Anything heavier than 60 in a 14 is a no no.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
How about the 53 gr TSX? I love those bullets and it would do the job if a hog showed up on a varmint hunt.

Was gonna hold out for a Kimber Pro Varmint 204 Ruger but some dies are not available yet for the 204, mainly the Lee Collet Neck Sizer.

Maybe that will be next. Big Grin Right after a Remington Mountain LSS 260 or maybe some kind of 257 Roberts. Decisions, decisions bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read some nice stuff about the killing power of the 53 TSX in the 22-250. I used to kill a lot of deer with the 225 Win before we had all these nice bullets.
Buy a nice 7mm08 and forget the 260 and 257 and the decision is done for you. 7mm08 outshines the other two. Load some 120TSXs or 140TSxs in it. You will get over 3000fps with the 120TSX and 1840fps with the 140TSx.
There is a Rem 700 in 257 for sale in the paper that I may call about for my wife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
The 14 twist is designed to shoot 55s and lighter. 60s are usually specific barrel dependent. Anything heavier than 60 in a 14 is a no no.

NOt quite true..

The 63 grain Sierra, the 64 grain winchester PP, and the 70 grain Speer SMP.. will all stabilize just fine in a one in 14 twist, based on their designs...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Based upon over 6,000 posts, Seafire has experience to back up what he says, never disagreed with the logic/results he has.

Higher speeds with 22/250 negate as much need for faster twist as say a 223 with many bullets.

Now heavy VLD's might be a different story I would expect and most people who shoot them are competitive shooters where they matter in a match.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods: I fully concur with the handsome and dynamic Seafire/B17G!
I have shot all manner of 55 grain bullets and a few 60 grainers in a host of Remington factory 22-250 Rifles (700's, 788's and 40X's)!
Excellent accuracy and stable bullets has been the "rule of the day" for me.
You will not have any inherent problems with your VLS and 55 and 60 grainers.
By the way there is NO valid reason for not buying a 204 Ruger!
Just thought you would like to know that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

I ordered a box of 53 gr TSX's and bought a box of 55 gr NBT's. Guess it depends upon whether I want to blow 'em up or drill 'em as to which one to shoot.

VarmintGuru Big Grin the recent spirited discussion on the pros and cons left me wanting a 204 (you won?) but like I say I load using the Lee Collet Neck Sizer (not available in 204) and Redding Body Die so I'll start with the 22-250.

Any drawbacks to the J-lock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The JLock works but have heard of some failures. I replaced mine with a fluted firing pin assembly and aluminum shroud from Gre-Tan Rifles in Colorado. The spring is 2 lbs strong than stock springs. Gives you a quicker lock time and lightens the load a couple ounces.
When you pull the JLock you will see the factory spring is all twisted like a snake in the bolt with a lot of friction on the bolt surface.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods: No detrimental effects to my shooting, from the J-lock that I have noticed as yet!
I at first was appalled by the looks of these "fear of lawyers induced gadgets".
I have three or four Remingtons with the J-locks and other than the slight unsightlyness they have, I can't find fault with them.
I remember the year I went to buy a new Remington 700 Classic in 223 Remington caliber. The J-lock was just being introduced then and the dealer had two of that years Classic's in 223 Remington in his rack.
One had the J-lock and the other did not!
I of course opted for the Rifle without the J-lock.
Plenty of time for you to get a 204 Rifle in the future.
All the new Remington 700's and XR-100's I have seen in the shops recently are without the J-lock device. I assume but do not know for sure that Remington has quit making Rifles with the J-lock?
Best of luck with the new Rifle when it gets up and running!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks

Does the slow twist mean that it will have a hard time shooting 55 or 60 gr bullets?

Do some of the other manufacturers come with a faster twist that might be better?

I had one. It had trouble with LONG BOATTAIL 55-grain bullets, and would not shoot the Nosler Partition 60's either...... Flat-based 55's shot well, as did everything shorter than these.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Had the Rem 700 VLS out and was checking to see if the barrel was free floated. It is not. There is a bulge in the barrel channel right at the front swivel.

Question, should I sand out that pressure point or leave it in?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods: I suggest shooting it with the "bulge" as is!
I have had 5 or 6 VLS's and I have not removed the bulge on any of them.
They all shot VERY well!
223, 204, 22-250 and 260 VLS's are still in my safe (and still shooting with their bulges).
Yeah just leave it there for "some" testing - if you get a bad feeling about it - remove it later.
BTW - I torque my VLS's to around 50 inch/pounds fore and aft.
Some folks I know go to 60 inch/pounds on their Remington 700's and they seem happy with that setting - I tend to lean towards 45 to 50 inch/pounds on my Varminters.
Good luck with the VLS - or maybe you have shot it, and are not impressed as yet?
Let us know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 19 December 2006 8:08 PM Hide Post
Based upon over 6,000 posts, Seafire has experience to back up what he says

Well I wouldn't give Seafire that much credit....

A big part of those 6,000 posts have been telling the lefty libs in the political forum, what a bunch of morons they are... lol

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Rem 700 VS with a 24" barrel. I believe it is a 14" twist also. I have only shot 55gr bullets out it & have seen great groups. The Nosler 55gr ballistic tip will shoot in the .3's on a regular basis. I bought a box of 50gr Noslers to try but I think that the throat of my rifle may be a little long for them. I have also been wanting to the 60gr partition but just have not done it yet.
In short I would try bullets in the 50gr to 60gr range & see what the rifle likes the best.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote