New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 win barrel-life?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are your experiences with barrel-life in a 243 win. I know it can variate from different brand of barrel. I use a Sako barrel. How many shots can I expect to shoot through it with a reasonable precisition?

JTK.

Posts: 46 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a Savage Premier grade in 1966 and had to have it re-barreled in 1995. It was shot a lot.
Sorry to say that it was abused a lot too.

Have you heard of Danevang, Texas?

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think, I have heard og Danevang, Texas. The danish camp i Irac is called "Camp Danevang".

How many shot do you think has gone through your 243 Win.?

Johannes

Posts: 46 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel life is not predictable in general, so I doubt nobody will be able to tell you an exact number. But there are a few issues involved with barrel life, some of which you can influence and some which you can't:
1) the cartridge itself. The .243 can be a bit hard on barrels, so I would not expect barrel life to approach 8-10000, which some other cartridges may deliver (the .308 is an example of a big game cartridge with good barrel life).
2) secondly, what accuracy loss is acceptable to you to a large degree will determine when you consider the barrel toast. If you were a benchrester, I would not expect to get more than 1-2000 shots out of the barrel before the accuracy loss became a problem. If this is a hunting gun, your barrel life expectation should be above that.
3) Finally, it really depends on how you treat your barrel. Don't let it go hot on you, when warm put the rifle away and shoot another one. You can burn out a .243 barrel in an afternoon, should you wish to do so. Stay away from double based powders, that should help you as well. Use good cleaning gear and don't over clean the barrel.

All in all, I think maybe 3-4000 shots would be a reasonable expectation for a barrel well cared for.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High pressure loads should be avoided.

I have budgeted for 2,000rounds - for me about 15years plus.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are tomany factors go into determining barrel life. If you are a varmint shooter with yout .243 and shoot lighter bullets you will likly heat up your barrel faster. (increase speed and increase friction)
I you are shooting your .243 as a game rifle,
And using the 100 grain bullets ant letting it cool ,it will las alot longer...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say for varmint shooting.. if you don't get trigger happy, 4K is easily obtainable and more like 6K would be realistic for acceptable average...

For deer hunting, a life time! Don't heat it up and I can see 8 to 10K out of a 243 Barrel... at least minute of bambi at 200 yds...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .243 Winchester as a varmint rifle is hard on barrels, but so is the .22-250 and similar. Steeper shoulder and longer neck cartridges can have less chamber errosion because the initial powder ignition is inside the neck of the case. The .243 AI will be easier on barrels for these reasons.

Take a look at "Precision Shooting" magazine on this subject.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote