New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A box of goodies from a deceased gunsmiths shop followed me home from a sale recently. A couple Brno 98 actions and a 1909 action were included in the box. One Brno action has a new 6.5 cal, 26 in barrel installed. As close as I can measure it seems to be a 1 in 8" twist and chambered for the 6.5-06 cartridge. Looking at shooting bullets in the 125, 129,130 to 140 gr range. Anyone have any favorite loads or bullet/powder combinations they would like to share ? I have a custom barreled 6.5 Rem so I imagine things that work in the Rem will be similar in the 6.5-06.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Snowman, that is a very capable cartridge. If you have access to past issues of Rifle or Handloader magazines, look for articles by Ken Waters, Steve Gash and Charles Benke on the 6.5-06.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16652 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Thanks for that. I have an old Handloader magazine with an article by Benke in it. I was hoping for a little information using some of the newer powders like RL23, RL25 & RL26
or the new Enduron powders.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the idea of a 6.5-06.

If it was a factory offered rifle with factory ammo, I know I'd own one.

I'm not sure why, as I own a 25-06 and a 270 Win., but such things matter little to gun nuts...

Posts: 2626 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With reasonable caution, you should be able to use the starting loads for a .270 or .280 as a starting point.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Surefire, you don't have to 'splain nothing to me, señor. I have always been fond of the 6.5s. Dunno why.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16652 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
With reasonable caution, you should be able to use the starting loads for a .270 or .280 as a starting point.

Why would you do that when there is solid published data to be found?

https://load-data.nosler.com/l...data/65-06-a-square/

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

ConfusedI'm a little puzzled on this one!!! roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have responded. Perhaps I should have provided a little more information. I have relatively new loading manuals from Hornady and Nosler and both list data for the 6.5-06. So there will be no need to look for starting loads in 270 or 280 calibres. I have a couple old Handloader magazines with articles about the 6.5-06 and there is quite a bit of 6.5 data if you do a Goggle search but most of this data is with older powders. I was curious if anyone was shooting a 6.5-06 and using any of the newer powders such as RL23 and RL26 or the newer IMR 7977. Hoping that someone elses experience could save me some time finding that "sweet" load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lon Paul is in the process of assembling a 6.5X64 Brenneke (AKA 6.5-270) for me on a BRNO ZKK 600 action to add one more caliber to my battery of 6.5mm caliber rifles, dating back to 1958 when my gunsmith friend suggested running a .243 Winchester reamer in my 6.5X52 Arisaka chamber, thus anticipating the .260 Remington by several decades. With a 1 3/4-6X Leupold sitting on top of it, I will feel confident in using it against targets of opportunity at any reasonable range here in Tennessee.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Lon Paul is in the process of assembling a 6.5X64 Brenneke (AKA 6.5-270) for me on a BRNO ZKK 600 action to add one more caliber to my battery of 6.5mm caliber rifles, dating back to 1958 when my gunsmith friend suggested running a .243 Winchester reamer in my 6.5X52 Arisaka chamber, thus anticipating the .260 Remington by several decades. With a 1 3/4-6X Leupold sitting on top of it, I will feel confident in using it against targets of opportunity at any reasonable range here in Tennessee.

xausu A question about the rifle you are having built. You call it a 6.5x64 and a 6.5/270. Which is it. I assume when you say 6.5x64 you are suggesting the 7x64 necked down to 6.5 cal. The body of the 7x64 case is slightly smaller in diameter than the 30-06/270 family. The 6.5-270 chambering would allow you to use 270 cases without trimming. To further confuse things there is a relatively new European caliber the 6.5x65 which has a case diameter slightly larger that the 06 family. It is the same diam as the 9.3x62 cartridge but 3 mm longer @ 65 mm. Brass for this caliber would be more difficult to obtain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

As you can see, cases for the 6.5X64 Brenneke are not the same size as the 7X64 Brenneke and cannot be formed from them. The dimensions for the 6.5X64 Brenneke cases are the same as those for the .270, except for the neck diameter, and the same as those of the 6.5X06, except for case length and neck diameter, which is the result of thicker case neck walls, probably caused by necking the case down.

My rifle will be marked 6.5X54 Brenneke, for which loaded ammunition is available in Europe, but, as far as I can tell, no cartridge cases. Both ammunition and components are available for the 6.5X65 RWS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where the "6.5x64 Brenneke" originated but if you do a Goggle search on the Brenneke cartridges the 6.5x64 is not a Brenneke designed cartridge. Look for CIP specs for that cal. I couldn't find any. Also check with the "Cartridges of the world" and there is no mention of the 6.5x64 Brenneke. No doubt custom brass could be made with 6.5x64 headstamp but I did not find any European factory ammo. Yes the 6.5x65 RWS is a CIP cartridge and factory ammo and brass is available.....only not very common in North America.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Further searching for 6.5x64 ammo. I found some MFS brand ammo labeled 6.5x64. Not sure where it is made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the DEVA (Deutsche Versuchs- und Prüf-Anstalt für Jagd- und Sport-Waffen) (German Experimental and Proof Testing Agency for Hunting and Target Weapons) loading manual "Wiederladen", the 6.5X64 cartridge was developed by gunsmith-engineer Hannes Kepplinger in cooperation with the Brenneke company to fill the gap between the existing Brenneke cartridges and to offer a means of converting pre-existing 6.5X57 caliber rifles to remove the long throat associated with that cartridge, which proved inaccurate with shorter, lighter bullets. Ammunition was manufactured by MEN (Metallwerk Eisenhütte Nassau) and is available through the Kepplinger Company. http://www.kepplinger-waffen.a...raesentation/aktuell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure Kepplingers 6,5 Brenneke is a good caliber and basically a 6,5-06. However, due to good cases and cartridges I would go for 6,5x64 (Reb). Sax is providing ammo and shm quality cases. Heym even supports it in SR21/30.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
xausa Thanks for that explanation. Interesting that they would basically use an American case for a European caliber. Now is the 6.5x64 Reb cartridge the 8.5x63 Reb cartridge necked down to 6.5 cal ? or is it based on a different case ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eschewing all these late arrivals, I decided to go with the 256 Newton. Seriously, I've built quite a few 6.5-06's and consider it to be an excellent hunting cartridge. The Newton takes more work to do less; perhaps a reflection on my personality. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3776 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have five original 1916 Newtons, all but one in .256. It really hammers deer and is a breeze to load. I also have a 1922 Newton, alas, rebarreled to .270 Winchester by Niedner back in the '30's. I have never shot my .30 Newton for fear of cracking the stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at data for the 6.5x65 RWS. There is some lod data with relatively modern powders.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Barstool(er)
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5-06 that I shot a lot then had to rebarrel it to 6.5-06 Ackley. Shot that barrel out and it's on its second barrel. Also just built a target rifle in 6.5-06 Ackley.

In my experience even the Ackley versions do not do well with "very slow" powders. Could be my particular rifles but always get best accuracy with powders in the H-4831 to RL 22 burn range with 140gr bullets and 4350 to RL 19 with 120gr bullets. Depending on the bullet 129/130 grain bullets seem to do well with both.

I have tried IMR 7977 & 7828 with Nosler AB, Sierra MK, Berger etc with 140 grain and rarely got 1" accuracy. But 4831, RL22, & IMR Enduron 4955 does well if you want an anti-copper, non temp sensitive powder.

The Hodgon Annual reloading manual -- available on the web also -- has a few loads for Enduron powders in the 6.5-06

Barstooler

Weapon of Choice: 30mm Gatling Gun

Over 1500 posts as "Barstooler"

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 09 June 2015Reply With Quote