THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    soon to get my custom 257 roy what bullets should i shoot?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

soon to get my custom 257 roy what bullets should i shoot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hill country rifles is going to be done wtih my rifle soon. its got a mcswirly stock (black grey and white) on a remington action, all coated with a 26" tube. im going to use it for dall sheep, pigs and deer in texas. ive never used a roy before but everyone says it kills like crazy and i had to try it. im concerned about the speed and close shots and the bullet blowing up, but i sure like bang flops. any experience outthere? ive heard somewhere that reloading a weatherby its hard to get more speed is that true? i do reload so that opens up some choices. thanks ahead of time. jeff

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesHow big a bullet will it stabalize? (Twist) Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is truely a question for you to answer at the bench. Go with what the rifle likes best and not the forum. For the game you mention almost anything including and above 100 grains will be just fine.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Unless you can get your hands on some Norma MRP II, it is hard to beat Weatherby velocities. But then again, why would you want to? Weatherby ammo is wicked fast. As to bullet selection, look only to Barnes in the .257 Wby if shots could be close. I've loaded extensively for a .257 Wby Super Big Game Master. Triple Shocks print sub-m.o.a. groups @ 200 yds with surprising regularity. Even more suprising is that they retain 90%+ of their weight when fired into an old oak stump at 10 yds! I cannot say the same for any bonded, tipped, or partitioned bullet.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barnes are likely to retain more weight than anything else. That said, I would check out the 110 grain nosler accubond. It won't retain weight like the triple x will, but it will do a lot of internal damage and exit. I had excellent performance from this bullet on antelope this past year using a 25-06.

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
mine likes 115 nosler BT's. I have no idea of what my velocity is and I really don't care when it cuts all 5 shots at 100. H 4831 sc....more than the book says (current manuals)
So far only a paper puncher no real big game experience.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed deer & big hogs with 120 partations & 120 speer hot cores. I use 45.0 gr of h4350 in a 24" bbl at 2,850 fps

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100 grs TSX - the perfect bullet for the .257 Wby!! You can't drive the TSX fast enough, and with the lighter bullet, the .257 Wby really exceeds what other calibers offer. With a healthy dose of RL22, you should be able to safely achieve 3500-3700 fps.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100 TSX and 72 grains of RL22 will often one hole for three shots and goes 3670 in mine. By the way it kills deer too.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote