THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    First Deer Rifle 6.5 Sweede/7mm-08/308
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Deer Rifle 6.5 Sweede/7mm-08/308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swede is all you need with 1896 pressure. It will kill whatever you point it at (within reason and the right bullet) if you put it in the right spot. I have a 6.5-06 AI that does the same thing...dead deer where they stand or close to it. I've shot elk with a 7x57 and a bow and they both were dead within 50 yds. I think it doesn't so much matter what you shoot em with, rather where you put the shot.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 7mm-08's, and they are really up to any deer you want to hunt. However I also have two 308's and they are up to any deer you want to hunt. But you are likely to find the 308 ammo just abour anywhere including Walmart. Might be a consideration.

Actually I killed my bigest buck ever this year with my marlin 45-70, and I was going to give this rifle to my youngest son. He is SOL. My hunting buddy shot his deer with 308 green box remington ammo from Walmart and it did a number on a very large (for central texas - 180 pounds)deer.

One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Well, the saga is over. I had my firearm certificate arrive in the post this morning with my new variation and the deposit is on the rifle so im going to pick it up tomorrow morning. Its a Tikka 695, Stainless, Laminated stock, 2nd hand but in nice condition. I will report back! Thanks for all the info and opinions guys, the decision came down to the fact i found a nice rifle at the right price and it was in 6.5x55 so the choice was made for me in the end!

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
6.5x55SE, but in a modern action and a good barrel with a longer twist rate than the Sweden military barrels.
You can load it hotter without big problems.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have shot all three of these rigles, and you cannot go wrong with any of them. I current still own the 6.5 Swede and the .308. I have shot about 6 deer (Columbian black-tail, Northern California) with the .308 and it has performed like the hammer of Thor, but I have never really liked the gun it is in. The 6.5 Swede is so accurate and pleasant to shoot that I prefer it on a long days hike. Oh, my .308 has a 20" barrel and roars like a train when shoot. It is loader than my .338 Win Mag. I do not know why, but wow! The 7-08 is your choice if you just cannot decide otherwise. It really is the middle ground between these other two. A friend and his Dad use these rifles for the same deer I hunt, plus mule deer, and elk. The rifles are thier absolute favorites.

Now, lets see, did that help at all?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote