Find
Notify
Tools

204 Barrel life
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted
A few years back I picked myself up a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 204 Ruger.

I keep reading about how people are burning up the barrels in them and I was wondering if anyone has a guess on how many shots people are getting before the barrel goes south?

So far all I have shot out of the gun is about 4 boxes of factory ammo. first 2 was Hornady 32 gr., then a box of Hornady 40, and then a box of Winchester 39. and maybe 5 out Federal preimium 39gr.

Gun still has very tight groups, even out to 200 yrds.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel life is on par with a 223, probably 2500 rounds or more. Hot loads combined with overheating will shorten barrel life in any caliber/chambering.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot rapid fire, keep it from getting hot, and clean it and I would say 2-3k would easily be attained. Its the rapid fire that kills them.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
The only rapid firing I have done with it is 3 shot and a few 5 shot groups. All have been less than 1", even the ones at 200 yrds with the factory Federal ammo in 39 gr.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the Nosler reloading manual barrel life is about on par with the .223.As the others said not overheating the barrel and keeping it clean will stretch the lifespan of any gun.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first 204 is a savage 12 VLP and has just over 3000 rounds through it and still shoots 1/2 MOA. Keep it clean and don't overheat (which is why I take 3 204's out into the pd fields) and it should be on par with the 223 for barrel life.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Barrel life is on par with a 223, probably 2500 rounds or more. Hot loads combined with overheating will shorten barrel life in any caliber/chambering.

Craigster,

I get a LOT MORE than 2500 rounds out of a 223 barrel.. I consider them just getting broken in right when they hit 2000 to 2500 rounds..

I just can't warm up to the 204, but I would speculate that more than 2500 rounds by a long shot...

as Moorepower says below your thread.. keep the barrel from overheating and you're looking good on barrel life..

for what it is worth, I ran a Ruger 77 Mk 2, heavy barrel in 223 to 15,000 rounds before I traded it off..guy who bought it ended up putting another 2,000 rounds down it when I saw it a year later..

he planned to keep it until it was 'no longer accurate..'

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger has over 2,600 rounds down the barrel and is still shooting 1/2" 3-shot groups or better. I try not to heat the barrel up in prairie dog towns, but once in awhile when the whole herd of prairie dogs attacks my position, the barrel does get pretty hot!!! rotflmo

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Hey Silverfox, You need any help keeping the attacks down? Always wanted to blast prairie dogs.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
as much as I shoot the 204 barrel I have, it is going to last well over 100 years.....

if I can't get at least 5,000 plus rounds out of a varmint barrel before setting back the shoulder and rechambering.. then it is not a caliber for me..

the sub 22 calibers are not doing much to sell me on anything..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
youngoutdoors--Sorry, I already have someone guarding my back, but if the PDs get any thicker, I might give you a holler!!! lol

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote