THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New Pro Hunter Barrel Want Advice

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Pro Hunter Barrel Want Advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a T/C Prohunter barrel in .223, I was thinking of running the Tubb Final Finish System through it before firing it, anyone have any suggestions or tried the TFFS through anything, just wandering if its worth the money?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly sugjest you don't try and fix it till you know its broken.
It might be super acurate as it is. The Tubbs system is an abbrasive and helps smooth out rough spots in your bore.
But it also erodes things a little.
So shoot your rifle first, before doing anything.
I know of guys who free float a new rifle without ever shooting it 1st.
I have about 3 rifles that have preasure points and shoot lights out.
Had these buys bought the rifle instead of me they may well have ruined accuracy by floating them.
SHOOT 1ST FIX ONLY IF NEEDED...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think tubbs "final Finish" system proves only one thing...

that there really is a sucker born every minute.

Put hard abrasive coated bullets inside my barrel intentionally? HELL NO!

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I know of one other person who tried this on a HR Handi Rifle he claims it helped that particular rifle, this was just a thought, I am gonna try it Saturday probably with some loads I have loaded just to see what it does, the load I have is 50g Hornady Spire Points over 27g H4895, I don't know how the H4895 will be in 223 but it was very accurate in my 22-250. It is almost identical to varget, even though varget has a slight edge on velocity I only have an 8lb. canister so I'll have plenty of experimenting with H4895.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Tom Jones.....I wouldn't try and fix the bore with abrasives until I fully tested it. I have heard good results with that system, smoothing out the a rough bore, but it also increases wear especially in the throat area.

I'd do a careful barrel break-in and cleaning procedure and then see how the rifle shoots.

The abrasive treatment can be done later if needed.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the barrel for its first shots today, the results were very good after 25yd sight in I moved to 100yd and zeroed in, cleaning the barrel after every sixth shot, I shot eight groups of three, the smallest coming in a @.163" the largest being .665" an eight group avg. of .470" which I thought was very good straight out of the box, my loads were with Hodgdon H4895 with 27grs. and a 50gr. Hornady Spire point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have got a barrel I'd be happy to own....

Hope you have continued success with it.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, crap. Now it looks like I will have to buy an Encore myself. That's very nice accuracy.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Well, crap. Now it looks like I will have to buy an Encore myself. That's very nice accuracy.

x2

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hammer: Do you know what twist rate you have in that .23 barrel?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote