Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 vs. 223 wssm?
 Login/Join

posted
It's winter and I am thinking about rifle projects, rather than shooting - with 2' of icy snow all over the place. The 223 wssm sounds very interesting, and Browning says they are putting chrome barrels in all their 223 wssm now -especially a walking varminter. The modern cartridge with lots of powder close to the bullet, headspace on the shoulder, sounds very good - But the hype shows up in the price, $720 for a black plastic stock and black barrel. So I have been looking at some used heavy barrelled varmint guns in 22-250, a ruger varmint, a remington varmint synthetic, a Savage 12 Varmint. Too many choices, and no good source of accuracy information

I want VERY good accuracy, and I do not expect to be shooting at anything past 350-400 yrds, so .22 should be good, mostly groundhogs and targets

I shoot mostly mid-bore centerfire sporters, so any suggestions, opinions, would be appreciated.
Thanks
Harmless

Posts: 9 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the choice is between something that has been around and proven, In factory form for almost 40 yrs, and something " new and Trendy" that hasn't been around 6 months.......

Both perform the same.

Sounds like to me someone is just trying to reinvent the Wheel, with the motivation to sell something new to compare with what we already have.

Put me down in the 22/250 column.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire said it as well as it could be said, and I'll leave it at that.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the .22-250. I have a Remington 700 ADL in .22-250, and it's the most accurate rifle I own. The .223 WSSM might not even be around in a few years, but the .22-250 has stood the test of time, and is a proven performer. The WSSM rounds may have a potential accuracy advantage in theory, but in the real world, you'll never tell the difference. The .22-250 is normally very accurate, and lots of load data and components are available for it.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save yourself a lot of time and frustration, get a Remington in 22-250 and you should be a happy camper. Disappointment and frustration in a varmint gun is often spelled RUGER .

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is sort of a tough question. I already have more guns than some people think makes good sense, but I have been drooling over the 223 WSSM since it came out.

But, since I already have three 22-250's I cannot really justify one. If I needed a new 22 caliber varmint getter for long range, I would sure be tempted to try the 223 WSSM.

My buddy bought one of the new Winchesters recently. It was in a local gunshop and I had been considering it pretty stongly. My buddy went and looked at it and purchased it right away. It was the Super Shadow Super Short, it is very lightweight. It has a plastic floorplate and the wimpiest barrel you ever saw. That darned thing shoots!!
With factory ammo he is getting half inch groups! And the price was reasonable, around $500.

I was considering it for a coyote rifle, being so light and all. My biggest concern about the cartridge comes from the latest Hornady reloading manual. Hornady suggests that this caliber IS hard on barrels. On the other hand, they have loads in there with the 40 grain V-Max going 4600 fps!

I think if I wanted a hot new twenty two varminter I would have to go with the 223WSSM. Hell, I might have to buy one anyway. (Maybe in the Winchester Coyote??)

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I'm with Seafire. Can't imagine the WSSM has any real advantage over the .22-250, except to the gun sellers. The majority of folks who want a .22-250 probably already have it. They have to make us think we "need" something new.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have to say that i am a big fan of the .22-250 mine is accurate out to 400 yards. the only problem with the .224 caliber is the wind. if i was just getting into the predator hunting scene and wanted a walking rifle i would have to go with the .22-250 it seems to have more of a punch when it smacks the yotes. i would not discount those wssm's yet. aren't all rounds unproven when they come out. i think that every cartridge out has been through this type of criticsm. and the ones that were worth it are still here the ones that weren't well you know the rest of the story. really i think you would be fine with either one...jmho blake......

Posts: 45 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Harmless,
I have the perfect literature for you, Wolfe Publishing Co. tel:928-445-7810 or www.riflemagazine.com

OR go to your local HEB or a magazine stand and look for Rifles HANDLOADER, that's the name of the mag. Page 48 by the author John Haviland. This article will answer everything your wanting to know, it's perfect, they compare the .223wssm to the 22-250, they tell you drop for both bullets and they try out the Cooper m 22 and Browning A-bolt and lot of other good onfo for you.

Best of luck on you decision, either one you choose, your not goona be disappointed. Both shoot very well and accurate. I had the preveilge to shoot the 2nd ever made .223wssm made by H-S Precison Pro-Series 2000 VAR rifle. Very,very accurate!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harmless
Always go with the tried and true. Never try anything new because it might take some effort and we certainly don't want that do we! My motto is "that's the the way we always did it" or sometimes I say "better safe than sorry".

Posts: 43 | Location: New England | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote