New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Rimfire
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
There is a rumor Ruger will be bringing one out, anybody heard any more about it?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Not Ruger
Joint effort between Volquartsen and Aguila. Firearms based on the Ruger designs (10/22 and MKII) as Volquarsen builds them. Heard that the Aguila strike had delayed things, but that ended (I thought) a while back. Hope they didn't get cold feet on it.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a web reference--particularly
covering the cartridge dimensions?

Is it a necked-down 22 long rifle rim
fire (like those of Alton Jones)?
the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
captnemo,
I think it is based on the 22 mag. At least the one I had seen at a Saskatchewan gun show. Some folks from montana that made thier own bullets had some. They had a whole pile of these 17/22mag. amo,that they built, for sale. As well as a couple of guns. Bolt action I think. I inquired on this board and at HA. I was told the same as what vibe has said.

I am waaaaaiting!!!!

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
The latest Volquartsen/Aguila proposal is indeed for a 17 Long rifle rimfire, not the 17 mag which was wildcatted years ago (the precursor to the 22 Extruder/Swager concept)

Both these sites mention it, but without much other detail.

http://www.aguilaammo.com/prices.htm
http://www.volquartsen.com/index2.htm

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Wow, I came here to post what should have been a big secret.

I know for a fact (the rep told me) that Hornandy will load a 17 rimfire magnum of some sort next year, from what the rep told me it will have very impressive ballistics. He did not say who would chamber it however.

<Ben H>
posted
Bill:

A friend from Grand Island, NE told me the same thing about the .17 Rimfire. He also mentioned RUGER has agreed to make the rifles.

Ben H

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the confusion is caused by the fact that these guns will be built on the 10/22 and MKII frameworks. Though it would be nice if Ruger would produce them.

But then it would be nice if I could find a centerfire bolt for the Ruger 10/22 also.

<jim saubier>
posted
A guy just posted a picture of the new .17 rimfire cartridge on my forum but I understand that it is also on the coyotegods forum. Looks like a 22 mag necked down to .17 with a v-max perched on top.

www.saubier.com

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
There seems to be a race to be the first out with a 17cal rimfire product.

Works for me.

<Bill>
posted
I got a look at the Hornady advertisement today. I forgot to photocopy the part with the velocity, but I think it was around 2500 fps. Looks like a very promising round. will be called the .17 HMR, for Hornady Magnum Rimfire. I have a little bit about its ballistics in comparison on my site.

I think I want one.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 11-17-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
I wonder when they (or any manufacturer) will put these on their websites?

Bill. I finaly found the info on your website. Thanks to the search engine you have there.

<NM Kid>
posted
I have heard the same thing as what Bill has stated so far. Except that it was over 2600 fps. Either way that would be cool cartridge. I heard bullets will run roughly 8.50 a box. So they will be a bit spendy to shoot.

Chad

<Bill T>
posted
It's in the latest issue of Guns & Ammo. Hornady will make the ammo, both Ruger and Marlin will chamber guns for it. Ruger will chamber the Model 77/.22, Marlin the 883. Bill T.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
https://gateway.hornady.com/web_store.cgi?page=storehome.html&cart_id=

Here is a link to hornady's new products page with picture of th new ammunition. MM

<Sparticus>
posted
Just buy a barrel from Lilja and put it on your Ruger 77/22. Also, that cartridge will be at the shot show this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
new england firearms will make a handi-rifle with a 22" bull barrel can't wait too get one!!!

<volquartsen>
posted
We are excited about the new Hornady .17 HMR round as well. We should have both a semi-auto pistol and rifle ready for the
Shot Show.

In regard to the 17 Aguila that has also been mentioned on this thread. The last we have heard from Aguila is that the ammo should be out by mid April or so.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Now that is interesting, will be looking out for the semi auto pistol, sounds fine.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
<jim saubier>
posted
A semi auto pistol chambered in the new .17 HMR. Sounds pretty interesting, can't wait to see it pan out.

<Bill>
posted
Semper Fi Montana Marine!

EAS ed in 98, sgt 7th marines (1812)

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<Matt77>
posted
Is the 17 aquila and the 17 hornady the same?

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Matt77

No. The 17 Aguila is a necked down 22LR case and the 17 Hornady is a necked down 22 Mag Case. The Hornady is actualy called the 17HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire). The 17 Aguila I don't think has a published name yet, other than just a 17 rimfire.

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
Go to www.coyotegods.com, click on Tech Talk with S. Frame, and scroll down to this subject. There are about 30 posts on it, and some pics. Bye the bye, I am there under Tackdriver.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Paul Dustin>
posted
This was a joint adventure for Hornady and RUGER. Dave Emary a Engineer for Hornady and Tim Butler a Engineer for Ruger did all the testing with the Ruger new 77/17 rifle. The ammo will have a new 17 caliber 17gr V-Mav bt bullet and be moving around 2500 - 2600 fps. The Ruger rifle and Hornady ammo should be out after the 2002 shot show. The Marlin and NEF come after all the developing was done. They should have there gun after the show.