Tools

No Pissing here...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The 130gr 270 is a great choice.

Just practice a bunch at 300 and 400 yards.

If you are shooting deer chest sized groups, then you are good to go.

beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy P Coaltrain:
Late Bloomer congratulations on your wonderful adventures. I like the 130 grain bullets in the 270 winchester, the Nosler Accubond flys very well for me with a stiff charge of H4831 short cut.

If you want to try something new and you have the time buy some of the Barnes 110 grain TSX and put 59 grains of H4350 under it, load it to the SAMI length and try it out on paper. At 3400 FPS it will out do your new friends 25-06. I have been wanting to try that load but have not had the occasion to do so..perhaps I can live vicariously thru your adventures!

Jimmy I will not say that using that Barnes 110 grain TSX hasn't flickered through my mind...Please don't tempt me... rotflmo animal rotflmo

If I didn't have a lifetime supply of these 130gr Power-Points...not a bad idea! Big Grin

Wondering if anyone here has tried them???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 270 was made for long open country shots. I doubt there is an inch difference in the trajectory of the 25-06 vs the 270. No game animal will know the difference.
My 270 shoots the max load listed in Barnes new manual for RL19. under a 130 TSX. It Chrono's a hair under 3200 fps. I can say I am tempted by the 110's also but have not tried them yet. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
I think the 270 was made for long open country shots. I doubt there is an inch difference in the trajectory of the 25-06 vs the 270. No game animal will know the difference.
My 270 shoots the max load listed in Barnes new manual for RL19. under a 130 TSX. It Chrono's a hair under 3200 fps. I can say I am tempted by the 110's also but have not tried them yet. DW

Thanks for sharing I appreciate it thumb... and maybe I should start a thread later asking for comments on those that shoot the 270W Barnes 110 TSX...since there's three of us already curious!

I don't need them for my next hunt but who knows maybe the second one... coffee

Interested in their powder of choice, velocity, and terminal performance... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stillbeeman--I too don't have a fondness for the 25-06. What are your reasons and what is your opinion of the .257 Roberts?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I have nothing against the 25-06 as such. IMO it's a .243 on steroids. It's well favored by the folks that like to take little bullets and make them go fast but that's just not my cup of tea. IMO, there are other cartridges that suit better. The .260, 7-08, 7x57, .280, .270, 30-06 come to mind. Smiler
I don't really know anything about the Bob. Just looking at the ballistics, I'd say it'd be a fine deer rifle. I think a velocity window of 2500-3000fps is ideal for BG hunting. Where I would favor the .260 over the .257Roberts is with the .260 you have a choice of a 140gr bullet and still get in that window. Actually you can get a 160gr bullet if you'd like. Neither weight is an option with the Roberts.

Speed doesn't kill but it does impress the non shooters around the water cooler at work. Smiler