New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X57 Loading Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't own one, but being a 6.5X55 fan I have alway's dreamed this would be my go to dream caliber. But, I have noticed published loading data for this caliber is very, shall we say anemic.. Whats with that? Is this data based on M96 action limitations vs M98 actions?

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Quickload, the 6.5x57 has a tiny 3.5% more capacity than the 6.5x55; the difference between the 2 rounds seems to be negligible.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have thought for a long time that the 6.5x57 AI would be the bee's knees as far as a 6.5 went. Has anyone ever done this?

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
The CIP data ------Interesting

6.5 X55
Pressures (Energies)
Method Transducer
Pmax = 3800 bar
PK = 4370 bar
PE = 4750 bar
M = 25.00
EE = 3395 Joule

6.5x 57
Method Transducer
Pmax = 3900 bar
PK = 4485 bar
PE = 4875 bar
M = 25.00
EE = 3260 Joule

260 Remington
Pressures (Energies)
Method Transducer
Pmax = 4050 bar
PK = 4658 bar
PE = 5060 bar
M = 25.00
EE = 3930 Joule

I assume because of the age of the cartridge designs the CIP pressures are low in deference to older weapons.

Mine was in a 98 action.
I loaded to higher pressures.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20 or so yrs. ago i had a 6.5x57 improved built on a vz24 with a 24 inch douglas tube. i read an article in a gun mag about one built on a rem. 700 action out in pronghorn country and figured it would be a neat field shootin' deer gun for around here, seeing that i like the 57mm. case so much. the article went on to tell about how the builder then had it rechambered to 6.5x270 improved and felt that the 6.5x57 was all that was needed for the 6.5 bore. well of course then, i had to try the same thing with my gun and i whole heartedly agree that an improved 57 mm. case is just about perfect. i don't remember specific velocities, but they were pushing the 2900 fps. mark with 129 gr. bullets out of the 57mm. case and essentially no gain from the bigger .270 case, but all sorts of severe overbore signs,..... inconsistant primer flatening (of course from good cases) indicating pressure spikes typical of an overbore situation, couldn't get any where near known max load densities for the unimproved round (like 6.5-06), even with H4831,IMR7828 and AA3100 and just an overall finicky sob. basicly the same thing i read in the article. the gun would shoot good, if i drove the loads to the point that i lost a few cases to loose primer pockets every time i loaded a bunch, but that siuation is no fun and the velocities weren't screamin' fast anyways.
in retrospect, i would have to say that the improved 57mm. case is probably the perfect volume for the 6.5 bore. that chambering, in my gun was nearly as loader freindly as the 7x57 improved and when time and money allows, i think i'mm going to have my gunsmith shoulder the barrel back to the 6.5x57 improved. seems i just can't get away from that 57mm. case!
presently, i still have the 6.5x.270 improved and if you look back in the archives there is a thread i started about seemingly high pressure problems with the bigger case that i have never been able to remedy so i have to agree again and kick myself for ever getting the idea to try the .270 case. spent allot bucks on a one time reamer for nothing but headaches.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have modern rifles in both rounds, X55 in a Sako Av and X57 in a Steyr ProHunter. I have found that the reloading info for X55 definitely considers the older rifles. Not that much around for the X57, Hornady and Sierra. In X55 I can get max or beyond without pressure signs. Have not reloaded as much for the X57, found several loads that gave me 1/2" so stopped there.. From my experiance the X57 will give you between 50 to 100fps more than the X55 depends on the bullet and powder. Not really a big differance. One load for the X57 almost hits 3100fps with a 120g, In the X55 almost 3000fps with a 120. I have taken deer with both and see no real differance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have lusted for one as well. ask Seafire he has a lot of experience with the 6.5x57. he told me that the x57 case is just about perfect for the bore and going above that much gets you little.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5X57,
and it is at my smith on consignment.
Mine is a very prety custom on a mill surp mauser.
It and the dies with RWS brass are all on sale for 1000.00 OBO.
It could be had for probably 800.00.
If you want pictures PM me...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalobreath:
i have lusted for one as well. ask Seafire he has a lot of experience with the 6.5x57. he told me that the x57 case is just about perfect for the bore and going above that much gets you little.

Hopefully he will show up.. Seafire's alway's a wealth of information..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
pefully he will show up.. Seafire's alway's a wealth of information..

He is??? bewildered

I own several 6.5 x 55s, several 260s and a 6.5 x 57, although I am doing a small length, and lighter contour barrel for another rifle in that bore...It is my favorite caliber for some reason, that I can't explain...

maybe because everyone and his brother doesn't shoot one...so that makes us 6.5 x 57 users, and elite knowledgeable group ....

as far as the action, it is built on, is probably the limit of the pressure the cartridge will hold up to...

on any strong action, like a model 98 Mauser, or CZ 24, Model 700, Savage 110, Model 70, Ruger 77, Howa and some more I've neglected to add one can be loaded to modern pressures...

I can pass this on; taking a 260 case ( 7/08 Win necked down), a 6.5 x 55 Case ( Rem & Win)
and a Win 257 Roberts +P case necked to 6.5 x 57, each one was filled to the brim with H 380 powder, and then the charge was weighed....

The 260 held exactly a grain less of H 380, and the 6.5 x 55 ( Rem and Win) and the necked up 257 Roberts case ( Win) held exactly the same amount of H 380...

I did this little experiment to just compare the volume of each.. and surprisingly that was the results I got...

I rely on data for the 6.5 x 57 out of Hornady's Manual, but Sierra's Number 5 has it listed also...

however, I have never had any trouble using 260 Rem data or 6.5 x 55 data ( and ended up with the same projected velocities)..

of course any smart handloader knows not to start at the top... start a little lower and work up...

the 6.5 bore is pretty flat shooting, without high velocity as it is aerodynamically efficient..

because certain calibers in that bore that are made at the turn of the 20th century, are low velocity by modern standards, many commercial 6.5 bullets will also penetrate and be quite lethal are some fairly low velocities...so one does not need to redline the cartridge to have a flat shooter, or to be a lethal cartridge out of proportion with its bore size...

hope that helps answer the question somewhat..

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 6.5X57 AI[260 AAR] for over 30 years now and it`s never let me down. It is built on a BSA Monarch action, McGowen XX barrel and a kevlar stock. In Hawai`i it was my "go-to gun for Axis deer and goats. Here in Or it is good for about anything except perhaps bear. Even there it has proved enough gun. I settled on the Hornady 129 bullet years ago and found a bunch of the old round nose 129s and scooped them up. Use them in cover and the Spire points in the open. Excellent accuracy and killing quality on all game and elk too at modest ranges and ability to make the shot. I make my cases out of Lake City NM 30-06 brass. They last forever and are VERY consistent in weight etc. Wonderful calibre--build it!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vihta's 2002 reloading guide contains data for both the rimmed and rimless versions, with different bullet weights.

I like N140.

Send me a PM if you want a copy.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.5x57 (and rimmed version) shines with a 26" barrel. Either that or I have a fast barrel.

I'm reasonable conservative and have a slow chrono so these are fairly real velocities with a 26" barrel.

100gr - 3,300fps with compressed charge of VVN160

120gr - 3,000fps with VVN560

140gr - 2,850fps with RL22 or MRP.

It's a great cartridge. Quality brass is pretty much limited to RWS which is very strong and high quality. Legal in France and popular in the rest of Europe.

Some internet rumour about a propensity to 'donut' case necks and generaly has a very long throat. Mine hasn't done the former, has the latter but is still extremely accurate indeed.

If you are in the wildcatting mood then I would think one improved on the lines of the 257RCBS would be great. This is a 257roberts so same parent case improved with a more sane shoulder angle etc for improved feeding. Hornady has load data for it in their book - it looks a really well balanced cartridge in 257 so would be even better in 6.5.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you all for your responses.. I was hoping the 6.5X57 would be a leap over my 6.5X55 and 260 Rem. But it appears to simply be a wash between any of them, not one having any real advantage performance wise over the other.

But I think I’ll still keep my eye’s open for a nice 6.5X57 just in case Wink

MopaneMike

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Mike,

both the Swede and the 6.5 x 57 will show some improvement over the 260 if they are put on a long action that will allow the bullet to be seated out to magazine length and the chamber is throated accordingly...with heavier bullets...120s and up...

then it will run with a 6.5/06 any day...all day long...or a 6.5 x 284, even if that is built on a long action...

don't sell it short...

just the same as comparing a 243 to a 6mm Rem... both are equal in a short action... but put the 6mm Rem in a long action, and then it competes with a 240 Weatherby and 6/06 all day, every day...

That 57 mm case in a long action, in the 24, 25 and 26 cal bores is pretty efficient...

I've also seen some guys do some amazing things with a 243AI or 260 AI in a long action...get those bullets out of the powder capacity room and they become different animals...

a 280 AI in an action the length for a 300 Weatherby or 375 H & H is another 'wonder' I've seen accomplish some amazing things lately..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree, on a long action the 6.5X55 and 6.5X57 will have a bit more. Especially with heavy bullets. Most 6.5X55's and 6.5X57 will be on a long or at least intermediate lenght actions. 260 could be any lenght. Both my rifles have rather long throats so I never have issues with bullet seating depth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems every once in awhile, you see one of those cute little post war BRNO's in 6.5X57. Those just make me drool.. Now you go and give me more reasons to ponder..

Btw.. I assume brass is as easy as sizeing down 7X57?

MopaneMike

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
If you have a good barrel and a standard chamber you could do what I do for my 7x57 and use 5.6x57 brass necked up. It has a .028 neck wall thickness and I have been able to get a .0015 release clearance for a bit of target work while retaining the ability to use factory ( shudder ) ammo if necessary. Have turned the brass in three steps to take the tapered neck into account and have 'fitted' brass for special aplications.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57 brass can work, a bit of differance in the shoulder and neck. Not really a full blown fireform, but a fired resized 7x57 will be a 6.5X57 with a lenght and neck trim check. I did not want to say that running the 6.5X55 beyond max was a good idea, always work the load up. Just comminting on reloading data with a modern rifle. In the 6.5X57 RWS is the brass I use, but it is now about impossible to find. Horenbier (SP) Sellier and Belliot (SP) I also think have either brass or loaded rounds in the US. I would love to find an old BRNO, love my Steyr in 6.5X57 but it is not really very pretty. It is the most accurate rifle I own, with loads it likes will be under 3/4" several under 1/2" I have yet to fire anything I have reloaded (load development) that was worse then 1.5". So I think I will keep this one. I love the Sako in 6.5X55 about as accurate and have won several Hunter rifle matches with this rifle, but I always think about the wonderful wood when I take it hunting. The Tupperware Steyr I never think twice about.. Something about the 6.5's that really works well beyond what the papers say.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I am necking up Winchester 257 Roberts brass...

I like Win brass... and I don't shoot a Roberts, so it works out well for me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started a new thread with a picture of my 6.5X57 mauser. I somehow lost a message from somone who wanted to see it.
It is on consignment at my gunsmiths shop in Forest grove oregon.
...tj3006

freedom1st