New
Find
Notify
Tools

chamber inserts for .22???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a friend that I could not qualify as a reputable source, who tells me that you can get some sort of chamber insert that will allow you to shoot .22 long rifle from Thompson Center rifles in .222 & .223???
Apparently the hammer at the half cocked position strikes rimfire configuration, which sounds possible to me, as the T.C.'s barrels are interchangeable.

Could this be true?

What about .17rem inserts for 17HMR? That would be very nice...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Contact Woody Woodall at Lothar Walther USA

http://www.lothar-walther.com/us/

I'm sure you could even get a custom one done with them.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/english/hunting2.htm

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
Express,

Look after ALEX CARTRIDGES: they make 222 or 223 cartidges with a insert to put 22LR in it, so you can shoot them in the appropriate rifle. They also do that for larger bores, but the system is to put a 22LR HP and then a lead bullet on top of it.
olivier

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I have some of them, don't think that they have a lot of precision, but they can be used as dispatcher for wounded animals.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve, I see that you are in Milan, are there any others here from or in Italy?
I was just in Milano last week to pick up some new guns from Parini.
Good to meet you.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,
Accidenti!! I'so sorry I've been out of office for three days and I did not see your answer before. I've just sent you a mail.
OK read it and if you wish, answer or contact me freely.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 223/22LR adaptor made by MCA Sports in Alaska that I bought thru EABrown. Used in my CZ527 (223), it's quite accurate out to about 50 paces or so, haven't seriously checked it out beyond that , although it shows promise. At the moment, it gets most of its use for either stock destruction, (the drought is serious out where I am), or the final dispatch of game - a 22LR is a lot cheaper than either a 223 or 270 factory load. I find it to be quite a useful tool, but I haven't tested it for ranges longer than 50 paces.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugeruser, THANK YOU for mentioning that .22LR/.223 adaptor. I've been thinking of buying one for my CZ as well, but was worried about accuracy. I couldn't find many people who had used them before. Can I ask what ammo has given you the best groups, and what size those groups were? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geo,

So far, I have only used CCI Stinger ammo in the adaptor - as I mentioned, I have only tried it out to about 50 paces, and was using pieces of cardboard the size of playing cards - ie about 3.5" x 2.5". Hit all the cards reasonably close to centre and whacked a couple of rabbits just to be sure - must confess the accuracy I got surprised me - I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, as I bought it for putting down stock, and just having fun with. Wasn't really trying to go for the definitive test, just plinking using a fence post as a rest. Hopefully will be able to set up a bench rest in the next couple of weeks and do a serious test.

With mine, I my CZ 223 is my walk around gun, and I carry the adaptor with a few rounds of 22 for the above purposes. Mine came with a really powdery black finish (which smells VERY metallic), and would be easily lost in the grass, especially the little 'firing pin' sleeve which acts as a striker. I polished the finish off to bare metal, and use a 3" machine screw to eject the striker and empty. It's a bit fiddly, but I think that as long as its limitations are recognised, it's a dandy little toy to have around. When I do some serious testing, I'll let you know how it goes.

All the best,

rugeruser

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Further to my last post - have now tried the adapter using a bench, and got mixed results. With a cold barrel, 3 shot groups were about 3" and 6" low at 50 metres. Hot barrel, all over the place, up to 10" !!!. The range is indoors, so temp is constant, and wind non-existant (obviously!). I was developing and checking some loads in my 223 (CZ 527), and shot the 22 stingers during the process, as and when I thought about it. I guess barrel fouling could be an issue, but I like to shoot the rifle in conditions it lives in in the field.

I'll still keep it in my pocket as a way of delivering a coup de grace.

Rugeruser

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi go over to www.eabco.com this is e aruthor brown . look in the reloading section and you will find theese critters. Bob [Smile]

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote