Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25/06 at 400yrds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Boilerroom

That 338 Ultra you are considering makes a bunch more sense!

Your 270 would do a fine job though.

The 25-06 would work if all goes well. Up close the 25's are great deer killers...At 400 yards the lightning is gone!
A 120 grain bullet at 2200 fps or less just doesn't tear up enough vitals for my liking.

I don't think most guys on this post realize just how damn big the mule deer get around your neck of the woods.
Sort of like shooting an elk with a 25-06.

Try shooting some wet telephone books at 400 yards.
Bet you reach for your 270 or something bigger!

It's my opinion that the good long range big game killers start with 30 cal. magnums.
The big 33's are the Rolls Royce of the long range hunting world!

My opinion...yours may vary.

Jamie

GET THE SENDERO IN 338 ULTRA!!

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Jamie

I still intend to get that Sendero in 338RUM. If I get my grizz draw it will be priority.

I own and hunt with a 25 06. I'm replacing it but not 100% sure which avenue I'm taking. I've considered going AI with the 25 06 and I'm also considering getting a T3 Lite/stainless in 270WSM.

I'm all over the place with this but in the end I'll probabaly end up with one of every thing mentioned.

I still have no problem with shooting a 300lbs buck at 300yrds with my little 25 06. I'm just not quite sure about 400lbs at 400yrds. Thats why I took my 7mag on the goat hunt this year instead of the 25. Sure enough, the shot was 400ish.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote