Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .25 wssm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Since the 243WSSM only "duplicates" the 6mm Rem,(a 7x57 based cartridge) I would guess that the 257WSSM would duplicate a 25cal cartridge based on the 7x57 case also.

Can you say 257 Roberts +P ?

So what's the big deal?

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Scott, the most interesting question would be if the game would notice if the "Bob" was loaded to full pressure?

Reality is that the Roberts was killed by "gunwriters" who kept proclaiming it should be chambered in a long action to "load it to its full potential". Well, if you have a long action, you can buy an 25-06...... The story never included that this information about the lack of "full potential" was never shared with the deer, who kept falling down dead when hit with it, wether it was underloaded or not....... None of them cared about the 2% velocity gain from a long action!

In the real world, most people DON'T reload (it's unpatriotic, I know, but it's true), and they want to buy ammo at wallyworld.

If you want to start a fight on these boards, just suggest that the 25 short will make it, while the 250, the Bob, and the 25-oh six will languish and die.

It's like the '06 and the 308. Which one has higher sales? The 308 was the first nail in the coffin, the WSM the second. We are living in the waning days of the standard length action. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as a quarter-bore enthusiast, I can truthfully say I am appalled at the offering made by winchester... why not give the public something desirable in an affordable and approachable 25-mg??? the 25WSM would make the 257wby a joke, as would the 25RSAUM, which is apparently in the works!

I shoot 117gr BTSPs out of my 25-06 at 2990... the hornady light-mags are even faster, which means that the 25WSSM is not even near the top of its class for the expense incurred.

this is truely one of the most disappointing developments in modern firarms... absolutely NOTHING new was covered with this round. a WSM or RSAUM would be light, easy to carry and would become the standard for sheep-hunters around the world... in stead, we have another "repost" of what we've all seen before... total bummer dude.

...and I HATE remmingtons...

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott, the most interesting question would be if the game would notice if the "Bob" was loaded to full pressure?

It is more of an academic line of thought. It seems to me that unless the pressure is the same we are not comparing apples to apples. If you load them all to 60,000 psi them make your comparison of what is "good" and what is less "good" you will get a better answer. It seems to me that a case that holds 50 grains of powder is pleanty for a 25 cal. The variations in the shape of the case, assuming, equal capacity has mimimal effect. I also think that a short action .257 Roberts leaves little to be desired. Speeding or slowing the bullet a couple hundred FPS either side of 3000 will make little practical difference.

Thing is that many folks want to play around with their rifles. They want new rifles. They like to load ammo and shoot paper, making tiny groups. More power to them. It is a great hobby. No more justification is need in my mind.

It is, of course, irrelevent to practical hunting. A practical hunter would become a deadly shot with one rifle. He would buy factory ammo. He would learn to stalk. Minor variations in his rifle an ammo would be irrelevent to him. Remember some guys do this with a bow and arrow. But he is not us. We like to experiment and tinker. Just try not to loose sight of the big picture.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that if one loads the "Bob" to 6mm Rem pressure, it will just about equal the 25WSSM

Yep, pretty much. A case full of H4831 (50gr.), loaded with a drop tube, a 117 gr Sierra on top, chronographs at 3040 fps. That is with a 26" barrel in a Remington model 721.

Somebody on this forum was messing around with a piece of computer software yesterday. It would give estimated pressures and velocities with different loads. Anyone run those what if kind of questions on the 257 Roberts?? I wonder What it would do if loaded to modern max pressures??

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I popped over to "Quickload".

When loaded to a COL of 3.150" as it should be (remember this cartridge is not a "true" short action cartridge, but an "intermediate length" as is the 7x57 and 6mm Rem for that matter) @ 6mm Rem pressure (62366psi) from a 23" barrel, the top five loads range from 3108fps to 3174fps. Pretty darned good for a "dead" cartridge. Perhaps if the "Bob" were loaded thus, it wouldn't be so "dead".

Go to the Ackley improved version and add another 60fps. for a top load of 3224fps.

IMO the WSMs are an excellent idea that serve a purpose.

The WSSMs I rate with the RUMs,(except possibly for the 338 and 375RUM) a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester does alot of creative marketing. There 04 catalog list 270WSM at 3275 fps and the 270 Weatherby at 3200? Really!? How does 3375 become 3200? Or the 300WSM with 180 nosler partition and the 300 Win with 180 partition protective point.
I completely understand the smaller lighter package thing. But the short is better argument, is bunk.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this a "reloading" forum, brass availability would be the biggest issue to me.

How many sources are there for 7X57, 6mm Rem and 257 Bob combined? All of these options would only require a quick trip through the sizing die and perhaps a trim.

Now quick, how many sources are there for 25WSSM brass?

I'll bet that if one loads the "Bob" to 6mm Rem pressure, it will just about equal the 25WSSM

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Wildcat, the big deal is being able to buy a variety of new rifles and loads for it! Try buying a box of ammo or a new rifle for the Roberts.

Just like the Roberts, the 25WSSM is a wonderful, mild mannered all around rifle. Comes in a short, convenient rifle, and will take on everything from groundhogs to deer, including black bear. That covers 95% of North American hunting.

The 'Bob" is dead. Long live the quarterbore! JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the .25 wssm is not supposed to beat the .25/06. it just does what the .25/06 will do in a smaller, lighter, and handier package. it being a smaller action and all it will probably be a more accurate cartridge also. before anyone jumps on me the .25/06 is an awesome round my best friend has one and that thing is ungodly accurate. i also think that alot of people will use them for deer and it should work great. i plan on getting one for long range varmints and predators. i bought the 270wsm and of all of my rifles it is the most accurate. i hope that these new super short mags do well, if they do it is great for the gun industry as well as hunters and shooters.

Posts: 45 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since when is the 57mm case a bastard? It is the perfect case length! It is well balanced, and feeds perfect, in the perfect action, a M98!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ive just chrono'ed some Winchester factory .25-06 120gn positive expanding points at 3060 - 3100fps so a .25WSSM is a down grade

Like I said, 257 Roberts + P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why oh why didn't they go the route of the 25 WSM.....

Wonders never cease eh

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote