New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 heavy hunting bullets??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone make a 70gr+ hunting bullet that would be appropriate for small antelope and deer. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 75 grain A-Max comes to mind. It expands well at .223 Rem velocities and will penetrate sufficiently on something thin-skinned as a pronghorn.

Then again, the 64 grain Winchester Power Point, 65 Sierra & 60 grain Partition, while not 70+ as you asked, would do quite well.

Just be sure to keep the range reasonable as you are using a marginal caliber for the task at hand.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There's also bonded bullets (the Scirocco comes to mind) as well as the 70 gr. TSX.

That said, the 53 grain TSX shoots through any deer from the larger capacity 22's from any reasonable distance. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 65gr Sierra is an excellent hunting bullet.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudude
I use the 62gr Barnes TSX out of my 223 fast twists and it shoots well and kills even better. They expand to .45 caliber and recovered weight (only one recovered ever!)was 61+ grains.
In my slow twist guns I shoot the 65 grain Sierra and they are great BUT for deer and antelope I would go to the TSX. Barnes also makes a 70gr TSX but my findings have been that you dont gain any real energy or penetration and the trajectory is better in the 223 velocities.

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one mentioned two heavier bullets that have been around awhile and don't require a fast twist....

The 63 grain Sierra SMP....

and my favorite.. the 70 grain Speer SMP...

My usual load is 28 grains of H 380 with the 70 grain Speer for an MV of about 3000 fps...

It is more potent than the Barnes X's and the 75 grain A Max.... I have broken a shoulder or two with it... on antelope sized Blacktails...

Hit one Blacktail buck in the back of the neck and it came out the throat about the size of a dinner plate, when it hit the spine...luckily the head wasn't worth mounting, the rack was broken on one side...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When looking at heavier bullets, be sure the twist of your barrel will support them. SAAMI standard twist is either 1 in 12 or 14. 1 in 10 will not reliably stabalize 70 gr Barnes TSX. My 1 in 9 AR will stabalize the 62 gr and 70 gr TSX.

The 53 gr TSX will work on antelope or deer if used within appropriate ranges. The partition is also worth looking at.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have killed 2 deer, each with a single shot to the chest, using Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzers. Each of the guns used has a 1:12 twist barrel. One of the deer was taken at 360 yards with a 22-250 and the other at around 80 yards with a 222.

This bullet is quite accurate in my 222, 223 and 22-250.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote