Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X55
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
I had this posted in the Med bore topics, but it'll probably fit better here.

OK, I have a sporterized 6.5 now, got it from M1Tanker (he is in Iraq now, and I hope he gets home safely)
Anyway, I had a buddy shoot it for me (long, sad story about fat guys trying to catch themselves while sliding down a flight of stairs... I get the wrist MRI done on WED!)

So this 22" sporterized Carl Gustav is actully boring in it's ability to shoot 1-1.25 5 shot groups of Federal 140gr power shok ammo(only factory ammo I had) Very impressed with the recoil, or actually the lack of recoil. I would have to compare the felt recoil to that of a stiff .243 105gr. hand load. I'll probably have wife/daughter use this load for this years deer hunt, unless I come up with a Nosler Partition load that can do way better than these Federals.

Anybody got a pet powder for the 6.5, and does anyone have another Swede for sale cheap? I am just guessing I'll be in the market for another one shortley!

Also when I shot it, granted, it was with the wrong hand, but I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with a trigger replacement.

I may end up swapping a like new Savage 114 Ultra 30/06 for a CZ550, or Ruger 77 in this sweet little caliber, if any one is interested, PM me or email acsteele@hughes.net.
I have a .223 and .243 for lighter duty, and a 7mag and .300win mag for bigger stuff. but this 6.5X55 has really gotten my attention for all of the fun shooting and deer hunting my family does. and getting rid a the 30/06 (don't hate me for saying this) would help me simplify my loading bench a little, as I already load for .223, .243,6.5X55, .270, 7X57, 7mm/08, 7mm Rem mag, .308, .30/06, .300win mag. .380, .38spl, .357, .45acp. .45colt, .454Casull.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swede was my first serious reloading project back whenever. Have a sportered Husky that is still one of my favorites even though it has a lot more company now. Couldn't make it shoot until I started using Re15 and then Re19. Shoots the 120s and 140s equally well. Some will say Re22, but mine likes the other stuff so never tried it.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot 130 or 140 grainers like me there is a very good chance your gun will like RL 22. However, this caliber is very reloader friendly and and most reloaders do well with many of the medium burning powders. You may want to try RL 19, the various 4350 powders, and Varget.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
RL-19 or H4350 for 120 grains; RL-22 for 140 and heavier.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished loading up some 125 grain Partitions with some Reloader 19. I don't think it could get much better than this for a hunt load.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beerWith two different 140 gr. bullets there was great repeatability using 45gr. of Accurate 4350 moving 2750 fps. avg. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had fine performance with 129g Hornady Interlock and H4350, less temperature-sensitive powder. This gives me the confidence that loads developed in warmer weather will still shoot to point of aim in the Fall and Winter. At velocities that stay under 2800 fps, I've found the Interlock series to be accurate and game-capable.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC:

on the Savage, why not consider changing the barrel to a 6.5 x 55... they are easily done... and you can keep the other barrel it came with...just an option...

I load a lot for this cartridge.. even though a lot of people prefer the slower powders.. I use the mid range powders... like RL 15, IMR 4064, 4895, 3031... even 4198 and SR 4759...

Less powder, less recoil...

6.5 bullets don't need high velocity to work well...based on many of the even slower 6.5 Euro cartridges developed in the last 100 yrs...

The bore is pretty aerodynamic which means flat shooting, so high velocity isn't needed...

They also sport high sectional density, which means that usually, with lower velocity they will actually penetrate deeper than say with higher velocity...

What applies to a 300 or 7 Mag are not the same principals when loading for a 6.5 x 55...Its sort of like a 243, capable of big things....

PS It is also harder to find a bad powder with the 6.5 than it is to find a "good powder".. so many of them work well....

I just figure, less powder,= less recoil and more mpg per pound of powder.....

Accuracy and on game performance will not suffer at all....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC

Speaking of the Swede. I have a Carl Gustaf's sporterized in a left hand Fajen stock. I have found the Sierra 140 gr Gamekings to choke down IMR 4895 and 1" groups were attainable. No chronoed speeds though. I have also found the Sierra 85 gr Varminter works well with the same powder. For my Nosler 140 gr Partitions I use IMR 4350 with similar results.

Unfortunately, I have an Encore with a left hand thumbhole (left hand, right eye dominantant)and a Custom Shop barrel in 6.5x55 that I'm working with now. Might be interested in parting with the Mauser if it goes to a good home...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ACsteele

I have a Carl Gustav and a Remington 700 classic in 6.5X55 swede and its my go to deer hunting rifle.

I use H 4350 with 120 to 130gr bullets and H 4831SC with 140 gr bullets. With a modern action the swede can really be loaded pretty fast, actually a little faster than the .260 Rem.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x55 semi-weight barrel for my Blaser R93's. It shoots the 95gr V-max into less than .5moa at 3100fps from it's 22.5" length with a moderate charge of VV N-150. I like it so much that I have ordered a second barrel for my single shot Blaser K-95 Stutzen. That gun should make a perfect mountain rifle with the Kahles 1"AH TDS 2-7x scope I have for it.

I used to shoot 100gr Bal-Tips from a Custom M700 in 25/06. Same weight as my R93, but the recoil and blast if significantly less in the Blaser.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Great stuff guys, I really appreciate the info. I am sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, but I am pacing the floor like an expectant father.(NO, NO youngsters on the way!) Just a '07 Mustang GT I have on order, it's been occupying most of my waking hours for the last few weeks.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload mucho swede. Realoader-22. Those new mustang body style are nice. Dont crash! Rather have a Cummins deisel though...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Vihtavuori powders they´ve worked nicely for me -N 160 should be the way to go.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acsteele:
Also when I shot it, granted, it was with the I already load for .223, .243,6.5X55, .270, 7X57, 7mm/08, 7mm Rem Mag, .308, .30/06, .300win mag. .380, .38spl, .357, .45acp. .45colt, .454Casull.

So I'm wondering what this 6.5 is going to do for you over your 7MM/08? Which has about the same recoil a little poorer performance and compaired to the 7MM a very poor selection of bullets.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Norma MRP will make your 6,5X55 roar clap

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jay Johnson: So I'm wondering what this 6.5 is going to do for you over your 7MM/08? Which has about the same recoil a little poorer performance and compaired to the 7MM a very poor selection of bullets.
Blasphemy! Another way to ask it is why a person who has a 6.5 Swede with better accuracy and game performance needs a 7mm-08? The answer is that each, like children, must be appreciated for what they are, not in comparison to something else.

Jaywalker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another way to ask it is why a person who has a 6.5 Swede with better accuracy and game performance needs a 7mm-08?

I'm sorry but those are both untrue statements.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

I was indulging in a little hyperbole, of course, but I believe you'll find the 6.5x55 and the 6.5/284 well represented in target work. It is certainly an accurate round.

As for game-killing capability, I'd like to find tranlated into English the two Scandinavian studies totaling 10,000 instances of "Alg" (Alces Alces, i.e., like North American Moose) taken by a variety of cartridges. The study is supposed to have found no discernable differences in killing effectiveness, including tracking distance to dead animal, among the various represented cartridges. The two most represented cartridges were apparently the 6.5x55 and the 30-06, but even such cartridges as the 375 H&H were recorded.

Granted, that doesn't make the 6.5x55 superior to the 7mm-08, but neither does it make the 6.5 inferior.

In another study, Swedish (?) authorities, concerned about the effectiveness of the small cartridge tested its penetration and found it superior to the 375, and determined to leave well enough alone. In a nutshell, within this class of cartridge - say, 6.5x55 to 30-06, killing power is an over-rated issue, much trumped by bullet placement. Add in the observed fact that badly-shot animals will be lost regardless of caliber, and I come to the conclusion that the differences between the 6.5x55 and the 7mm-08 are meaningless. YMMV.

Jaywalker

posted Hide Post
I have found that the 140 gr Hornady Interlock, with close to max loads (Hornady manual) of either IMR 4350 or H380 or IMR 4831 will shoot well under minute of angle from my sporterized 1899 Onerndorf made Swedish mauser. I cut the barrel to 23", and have a 4x scope. Sighted in at 100 yds, it hit's about 10" low at 220 yds.
Recoil is a nonissue, similar to 2 3/4" 20ga shotgun.
Woody

Never underestimate stupid people in large groups.

Posts: 19 | Location: Mecosta County, Michigan | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka 6.5x55 and a Sako 7mm-08. With factory ammo the 6.5 is more accurate than the 7mm-08. With handloads guess what? So far the 6.5 has outshot the 7mm-08.
On Game neither I, nor the animals shot Wink, have been able to say which is the better cartridge.
One might expect the more expensive Sako to be the better/more accurate rifle, but in this case, not so.
I think it was T.Whelen who said "Only accurate rifles are interesting".
The Tikka 6.5 is very interesting.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used a hot load of H4350 and Hornady 129gr spt's in my CZ550 to take several large whitetail bucks. The 6.5mm is one of my favorites.

Posts: 20 | Location: midwest | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for RE22 FOR THE 140 GR bullets. Mine shoots them very well. Good hunting.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joejar
posted Hide Post
acsteele: I have a sporterized M38 Swede for sale. contact me if you are interested.

joseph.krumm@usmc.mil

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
Another vote for RE22 FOR THE 140 GR bullets. Mine shoots them very well. Good hunting.

Ditto....again.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gibbs505
posted Hide Post
I are using W760 and that seems to be working well in my sporter! cheers

So I can't spell, so what!!!
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Posts: 130 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote