New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 452 Varmint .17HMR
 Login/Join

Picture of outterbanks
posted
I just bought a CZ 452 Varmint .17HMR. I am asking for any feed back on this rifle and ammo that work best.

Posts: 13 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
didn't seem to make much difference which one i use in mine. all grouped about the same

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine very much. I put a Brooks trigger in it, helped a lot. I use the 17gr Hornady V-Max load. Hits @ 175-200 yds are pretty easy as long as the wind isn't too bad.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by outterbanks:
I just bought a CZ 452 Varmint .17HMR. I am asking for any feed back on this rifle and ammo that work best.
I have a CZ 527 in .223, and it is a shooter! I don't have a lot of experience with the 17HMR, but I love my CZ.

Just out of curiosity, why did you opt for the 452 instead of the 453 with the single-set trigger?
Isn't there about $50 difference between the two? I wish I had that trigger on more of my rifles.

EDIT: After posting this I went and checked several websites. There is about $100 dollars difference between the two. That might make me opt for the 452 if I could find a suitable trigger for $50-60.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of outterbanks
posted Hide Post
I was looking for a Savage with their new trigger and the gun shop had the CZ with the adjustable trigger. The owner liked his and it had a nice wood stock with a little burl. Taking it to the range tonight.

Posts: 13 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 452 Varmint's favorite ammo is the Hornady 17 grain stuff. I have a 6X20x40 Weaver Grand Slam on mine (I like Millet rings), Eric Brooks trigger kit (breaks right at a pound) and it agg's a titch under 3/4 inches for 5 shot groups at 100 in decent conditions. At 50 yards they all go in a hole if I do my part.
I've shot a good number of under 1/2 inch 100 yard groups with it over the years. It's a gopher whacking beast!
Congrats, I'm betting ya love it.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
EDIT: After posting this I went and checked several websites. There is about $100 dollars difference between the two. That might make me opt for the 452 if I could find a suitable trigger for $50-60.

The 453 is a single set trigger that can be used set or un-set. Eric brooks trigger kit consists of a few springs and a couple copper tubes to tighten tolerances. Installing a kit for the 1st time might take 45 minutes, second time less. You can do two rifles with one kit.
You can buy the kit directly from Eric but he's gotten so busy making them I hear he's a bit slow, just a rumor cause he got mine right out a few years back. You can also go here, shipped from Whittaker's it'll run you $16.00 setting on your porch.

Whittakers

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Here is mine

I fitted a Brookes trigger kit, very easy

To test it I was bouncing the butt on my bench top to see if the trigger was too light and chipped a chunk of wood out of the back tang of the factory stock, real shame because it was a nice piece of wood

So I had a stock maker build a new stock for me, I had a few things I liked in different stocks so we put them all together

It's not finished yet needs quite a few more coats of oil and a bedding job when I get around to it

It loves Hornady V-MAX and the scope is a fine crosshair Leupold fixed 8 power with AO, but I might in turn update it to a 4 - 14 x 50

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ 453 Varmint in .17 HMR and it shoots the best 100 yard groups with the Remington Premier 17 grain V-Max Boat Tails. I have also tried CCI's FMJ, TNT, V-Max and 20 grain Game Points, as well as, Hornady's V-Max, but my rifle definately likes the Remingtons best. Federal loads the V-Max in their .17 HMR shells and I'm going to try those next.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been frustrated by the 17HMR - Had a NEF handi-rifle a couple years back that I could not get to shoot - Bought a Marlin 917VS used about a month ago - guy claimed it liked the CCI 2o grain gamepoints best - best group I can get is about 1.5"@100 for 5 shots and usually the group is larger - I tried a couple other bullets with worse results - Bought a CZ452 varmint this morning and with 4 different ammo's am getting the best with the Federal 17 grain vmax load at about 1.5" - I'm beginning to think I expect too much for accuracy - I see the results posted here and are these norm or the exception - I'm about to give up on the 17HMR

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
didn't seem to make much difference which one i use in mine. all grouped about the same

+1 to that. My 452 didn't care what the ammo was. Groups were the same and the point of impact was the same. Not the case with my Savage.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote