New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6MM Remington accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As long as folks are weighing in with accurate 6mm loads, I'll throw in one that shoots 1/2" groups in my Ruger No. 1 now that I have the barrel shimmed and settled down:

Rem. case
47 grs. RL22
Rem. 9 1/2M mag primers
100 gr. Hornady Interlock BTSP

The origins of this are found in the Nosler no. three reloading manual. So far this load has only been range tested and only with the Hornady bullet.

Posts: 52 | Location: Mis'sippi | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't tell about the powders. What works well this year may not perform next year. I guess it's the nature of the beast. It didn't take too many trips to the range to get my 6mm Rem. groups down to .5" I have a .222Rem. Mag. built around a Sako L461 action. For 5 years it steadily grouped at .5". I always thought it should do better. For no known reason this year the rifle is regularly grouping in the mid .3"s. I've done nothing to it. It just seems to have woke up on its own. Maybe my 6mm Rem. will do the same. Who knows? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
The load I used 2yrs ago and still do is 39.5grs. of H4895 and the 75 Sierra, the rifle(700 Varmint)would consistantly shoot in the 3s and 4s, can't remember getting anything over 3/4", one group was .217", just a couple weeks ago tried 45grs. H4350 with the 75 Sierra(for a test)and the first group measured .463", second group was .883", not too bad but H4895 was consistantly producing smaller groups, did try some 95 VLDs, 39grs. of 760 with Bullet up against the lands will produce mid 3s @100, alot of different powders seem to work well with the 6mm Rem. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
09 action, shihlen barrel, 45.5gr VVN160 and 90gr ballistic tip with WLR (or 46.5gr with rem 9.5) give sub 0.5moa taking down between shots.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote