THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .257 Weatherby SUB MOA Vangaurd?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Weatherby SUB MOA Vangaurd?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think this is my next rifle, but wanted to know if anyone has one. How is the adjustable trigger? does it live up to the factories claim for accuracy?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've never heard and issue with them not living up to the accuracy claim. MAJOR issue I have is the Vanguard 257Wby only has a 24" barrel.
For my $$ I would simply buy a Howa (same barrled action) in 25-06 and go hunting putting the $4-600 difference towards a scope and a LOT of ammo.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Mark V deluxe in 257 that didn't shoot very well at all. One of my best buddies has a Mark V in the synthetic all weather version that shoots extremely well. I personally know because I have shot it.

I have a .223 Vangard that is a Howa with Weatherby labels that has been the best $400.00 I ever spent. The trigger on the Howa sucks no doubt about it but it's easily replaced and fixed for $140.00 and your still money ahead.

IMO I would save the extra money and buy the Howa. Probably the best bang for the buck going right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much the howa is but I can pick up the sub moa weatherby for $760. I just don't know anybody that has one.how much $ are the howas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To throw one more thing in the mix, I can pick up a plain jane 275 vanguard black plastic stock with a 4 x 10 burris signiture scope and two boxes of ammo for $550. It only has 6 rounds firied through it. I need some advice. If its not accurate I will not be happy.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The Howa is the Vanguard Barreled action. Doing a quick look on gunbroker new are selling from $375-450. As I said the Howa is the same barreled action it simply has a different name and a Hoque stock.

Even if you decide on the Vanguard before I bought it I'd ask for some real world velocity in a 24" compared to a 24" 25-06. YOur ammo will be 2 to 3 times as much for factory. My opinon you just burn a lot of powder out the end of the barrel on a 24: 257Wby at best maybe 100fps or an inch drop at 400 yds.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Since you seem to want the 257 go for it. I would ask why it was fired only 6 times.

If it doesn't shoot or you get tired of the muzzle blast stick a 26" tube on it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Vanguard is the Synthetic ($300). It's not the 257Wby. It's a 25/06. The trigger out of the box was not satisfactory. With a spring change and some polishing it now breaks cleanly and crisply at just over 2pounds. the trigger work is it's only modification. It shoots MOA or better out to 300yds if I do my part. It's first blood was an Oceola gobbeler at 80yds. Shot through the craw exiting through the off side wing. The bullet never touched the breast.
That's plenty accurate for me.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sub-moa vangaurd rifles do have a better stock and are pillar bedded. Typically they do shoot quite well at least the few I have shot. I would strongly consider the 25-06 though. You will still get more velocity from the Wby even from a 24 inch bbl, but not, in my opinion nearly enough to justify the cost of brass and powder.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard the complaints about the velocity loss with Wby cartridges in a 24" barrel. But I've had no trouble matching factory loadings with my Sub-MOA 300 Wby. My 180gr. TSX load makes 3160fps using H4350, but IMR7828 got well over 3200fps. I can push the 200gr. Accubond to well above 3000fps, actually closer to 3100, with no pressure signs. I've not loaded for the 257 Roy, so I have no experience there, but can't imagine it being that much different than the 300. YMMV. My two cents. I'd buy the Roy if I was making this purchase. I'd also opt for the tupperware $399 model and spend the extra $400 on a McMillan stock. Or maybe just put a better scope on it. The stock on the Sub-MOA is the Carbelite and I'm not impressed. It's not very stiff in the forearm. The medalist might be better, but I'd rather pony up for the McMillan if I were to change.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own one of these rifles and there are + & - to them. First, the negatives; I had to build up the stock to be able to see thru the scope, otherwise I was looking at the back of the bolt. The trigger is terrible, you have to put the gun on fire to open the bolt, and you may have to adjust the magazine spring to avoid jaming. The positives are, the gun is accurate, mine shoots under an inch with many loads, and some loads under .75 at 100yds. The weight and balance are good for off-hand shooting. Over all, I like the gun, but I would not buy another one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I passed on the whole deal, thanks for all the input, one day maybe. For now I got to thinking I have a 6.5-284 I have always shot 139-142's grainers out of it, I just ordered some 100 grainers for it and i'll work up a load and I'll go from there.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For sure the cheapest and probably the smartest decision. Smiler But not near as much fun as a new rifle. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Too bad, the sub MOA's biggest advantage is the stock. The trigger's are crap, but a rework or a timney replacement fixes the only ill. My wife has one in 338 win mag and loves the rifle more than she does me.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife has one in 338 win mag and loves the rifle more than she does me.

Ha Ha Ha! I hate when that happens!

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
The Vangard 257 Wby out of the box has been my most accurate factory rifle ever. All I had to do was get a trigger job and it is perfect.

I have had two MK V's that have been an expensive PIA's.

I get 5/8" at 200 yards with handloads with my factory stock Vangard. Dropped a doe at 400 yards this season. Not even the Sub MOA. Great rifle.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not let the 2 inches of barrel bother you much.
There are a lot of the vanguards out there shooting real well.
Don't forget the remington 700s I have a sps in the .257 Wetherby and it is very acurate .
100 grain TSXs at about .50 and 3550 FPS...tj3006

freedom1st