Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x.284 long range??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll EyesA shooting buddy of mine picked up a Savage single shot from me yesterday. We discussed him wanting to make a 6.5x.284 out of it for 1000 yd. shooting. Confused
I made a 6.5x.284 back in 66 out of a Arasaka. Really a great hunter but never ever thought of it as a 1000 yarder.
old I know today it has a fair following But can not understand why a .264 with the proper twist and a deep throat for the Low Drag bullets isn't more preferred . Certainly some one of you has tried this. What are the pros and cons?
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shorter powder column of the .284 will give lower ES values - which really matters at 1000 yards. The .308 exhibits the same advantage over the .30-06, the shorter powder column does work. The lower recoil makes gun handling easier, again a big advantage way out there.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just shot a 1,000 yard match with my 6.5x284 yesterday. After 6 months of not shooting I didn't shoot near what my average is but I still took second place to a 6mm .308 shooter.

The 6.5x284 using 1:8" twist and loaded with the 142 grain SMKs at around 2900 fps is a great long range round. I like dialing half of the windage corrections of the 308 shooters in the gusty conditions that we get out here. Even if you miss a wind shift it doesn't penalize you near as bad as the 308 shooters get hit.

The cons seem to be barrel life, I have 1797 rounds through mine and 4 called fliers during the last match. The guys who load to 3,000+fps seem to get <1,500 rounds before changing barrels.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several friends who are shooting custom 260's and 6.5x284's for 1000 yd guns. It would take a team of mules to drag them back into the ranks of the 30 cal. shooters again. I'm gonna have to go try it myself, and see what all the hoopla is about!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the deal with the 6.5 x 47 (or the 6 x 47 for that matter)? Magic or science?

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
6.5-284 The one mile shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ture=player_embedded

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I just shot a 1,000 yard match with my 6.5x284 yesterday.

fishingFrank, is your rifle deep throated to prevent pushing the bullet into the powder room? beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I just shot a 1,000 yard match with my 6.5x284 yesterday.

fishingFrank, is your rifle deep throated to prevent pushing the bullet into the powder room? beer roger

I built mine on a left handed Montana Rifle Co. short action. These are built .200" or .250" longer than the standard short action so I can load the bullets out to full length without impacting the powder capacity.

I can load all the way out past 3" OAL and still feed out of my magazine but I didn't long throat mine. I used the standard length reamer with a .296" diameter neck. I started loading to .007" off the lands and my OAL was ~2.984" or so with about .125" of the boattail below the shoulder line and there is ample room in the case since I'm only loading 46 grains of H4350. Now I'm loading to an OAL of ~3.072 chasing the throat erosion.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have a barrel for my Blaser R8, does not shoot 140's all that well, but stacks in the 120's like no ones business. I do not have a place to shoot 1000 yards, but have shot it to 600 meters and it does very well!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornHas any one gone with the long throated .264 and VLD bullets old or any bullet for that matter? beerroger

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to work with a .264 for a bit, but the rifle was not of sufficient quality to make lasting statements about the cartridge from. Basicaly the 6.5/284 does it all for me and that bore diameter.

I'm working with my second barrel now, it's a Rock Creek melonited affair at 28" in a medium palma configuration. Seems to be a litle slow, but that too might change.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote