THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Speer 100 grain Boat tail in 6mm.....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer 100 grain Boat tail in 6mm.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just browsing thru the Speer number 13 manual and noticed that they denote different powder charges for the 100 grain boattail vs the 100 grain flat base in the 243 winchester. They say pressures are drastically different with the boattails. I had never seen a difference like this, other than for a few specialty bullets (Barnes, moly coated stuff, ect.) Has anyone played around with these, or understand what is causing the pressure differences. Their max velocity for a 100 gr boattail is about 2500, which is pretty slow for this caliber.

Jasper243

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at a bt and a sp of the same wieght from the same manufacture. The boattails almost always has a shorter bearing surface. Which I have been able to stuff a little more powder behind at about same presure. I wouldn't argue to much with a bullet manufacturer. They are betting their business and reputation on their engineers and ballisticians. I'm pretty cocky but I figure they know more than me.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote