THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Nosler Partition and 22-250 Accuracu problem

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Partition and 22-250 Accuracu problem
 Login/Join

<oneshot>
posted
I recently bought a Sako75 in 22-250 and I`m very pleased with it .
It will shot most bullets into very small groups.One load that i have found to be extremele precise is a sierra 60gr.HP.at 3550 fps. (36,5 gr VV150 ). But this is not the bullet to use for deer. So i turned to my favorite bullet (in other calibers) the Nosler Part. also in 60 gr. but it W�nt shoot straight The groups I�m getting are around 3"!!!
Anyone out there with similar experiences or maybe a solution to my problem ?
If someone have managed to make this bullet perform in a Sako or similar rifle i would appreciate information on velocity seating depht
powder etc.
It is however difficult for me to get most US.made powders so most of my reloading is with vihtavuori vv140 vv150 or Norma 202 ,204

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Reloading forum and the topic: Trouble with my .222 Rem and 60 grs Nosler. Maybe you can find something of interest. Think you have to look at page 2 or 3 to find the topic.

Good luck!

Pete

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-250 Ack. with a 1-12" twist. I use 39 gr of IMR-4895 and can get 3 in 1" at 100 yds. This rifle will do 1/2" for 10 shots with Hornady moly V-max. Called nosler and they said that 1" is about as good as it gets for this bullet. I asked about the proper twist rate and they mentioned that these bullets were designed to be used with a 1- 14" or faster. As far as powders go nosler, in #5 lists charges ranging from 29.5 to 33.5 gr of VV N150. With 31.5 @ 375 fps being the accuracy load in their barrel which uses a 1-14" twist. Hope this helps.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
<oneshot>
posted
Thanks Pete and Outlawsix.
Pete: Found the thread you mentioned and there were lots of info although the caliber in Question was the 222 rem which i never managed to get to shoot any 6o grainers or Barnes X 50 gr for that matter.
I also believe that the sierra GK.55 gr. Is a great bullets I just felt that the 60 gr. nosler Part. would be perfect for a 22-250 that will shoot other 60 gr. bullets into 1/2 inch groups or better.
The nosler and the sierra 60gr. HP. are the same lenght,and i believe thats what counts.
I do believe that the sako 22-250 has 1 in 12 twist but i could be wrong!!
Outlawsix: Would you mind repeting the velocity forthat nosler load again i think you left out a zero! is it 3750 fps or 3075fps .
It was good to see that you at least got 1" groups
with the partition and i think Nosler are right when they say that this is the best to expect from that bullet because i have never been able to make it shoot any better in a 6.5 x 55 ,but i am quite happy with that for a hunting bullet i just wish my 22-250 could do the same.

Thanks so far for the inputs more ideas and advice will be welcome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the typo. the velocity is as follows; 29.5 gr @ 3250, 31.5 gr @ 3375, 33.5 gr @ 3500 fps. I checked it before I sent it this time. Hope this helps.

<oneshot>
posted
Thank you outlaw.
I will try to reduce my loads a bit and see how it will shoot at 3375 fps although i know that this velocity may only be the "accuracy load" in noslers testbarrel.
I am however puzzled by the load data as the vihtavuori reloading manual suggest a max load of 36,5 grs. vv150 giving 3316 fps,that is with a hornaday 60 grs.
Thats a 5 grs diff.!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck you know how it goes. Everybody uses a different test barrel and even if from the same manufacturer there is always a different speed. At that they probably had different lots of powder and I failed to mention that they used winchester cases and Win. WLR primers. By the way their barrel length is 24". It is for the reason of different velocities and components that I have 8 reloading manuels and all the reloading pamphlets I can get my hands on. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have a .224-6mm Rem (1 in 8 twist) that doesn't like the 60 gr Noslers at any velocity from 3300 to 3800 fps. I'm going to try the Speer 70 gr semi spitzers and the Barnes 53 gr X bullets.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<oneshot>
posted
I have to boxes of the 60 grs.partition so i will give them a second chance,but i have also heard that the 7ogrs speer will stabilize in a 22-250 witm 1:12 twist so i have ordered a box of them + the hornaday 60 grs.SP, that i have also seen a few recommend here on the reloading forum. Recurve: i wish you luck with the 53 grs.X maybe i should try that one too,I stiil have another month till deerseason starts again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also tried to get the 60 gr partition to shoot out of 2 different 22-250's and was very disapointed, 3 in or worse for all groups. I varied bullet seating depths, primers, powders and velocities from 3300-3700 and never got any consistant groups. Contrary to what Nosler says I believe it takes a twist faster than 1-14 to properly stabilize this bullet.

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
A friend of mine shoots a 50gr Barnes X bullet from his 22-250 and claims to kill whitetails reliably. Pass-throughs on broadside shots.
I tried the 53gr X's in a custom .221 (was curious) and found them to shoot terrible.
I believe Trophy has a heavy jacketed .224 bullet which is suitable for whitetails.
VH

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by oneshot:
I recently bought a Sako75 in 22-250 and I`m very pleased with it .
It will shot most bullets into very small groups.One load that i have found to be extremele precise is a sierra 60gr.HP.at 3550 fps. (36,5 gr VV150 ). But this is not the bullet to use for deer. So i turned to my favorite bullet (in other calibers) the Nosler Part. also in 60 gr. but it W�nt shoot straight The groups I�m getting are around 3"!!!
Anyone out there with similar experiences or maybe a solution to my problem ?
If someone have managed to make this bullet perform in a Sako or similar rifle i would appreciate information on velocity seating depht
powder etc.
It is however difficult for me to get most US.made powders so most of my reloading is with vihtavuori vv140 vv150 or Norma 202 ,204

ONE SHOT,
UNLESS YOU HAVE UNUSUALLY LARGE DEER, THE 55 OR 60 GR. SIERRA WILL DO JUST FINE. DROPS THEM LIKE A BAD HABIT.
JUST MAKE SURE THE BULLET HAS A CLEAR PATH TO THE TARGET.
THE NOSLER PARTITION, IN MY OPINION IS WAY OVER RATED. I HAVE SOME IN 25 CAL THAT I'D BE GLAD TO TRADE FOR SIERRAS, ANYONE INTERESTED?
DENNIS HEPNER

<oneshot>
posted
It�s so nice to get a good feedback on this topic and i seem to get to the conclusion , from this and other threads with similar discussions , that quite a few have a problem with the 60 gr. partition in rifles with 1:14 twist and i also get the impression that it`s not so popular in the small calibers (22 and 25 calibers )as in their bigger brothers. Maybe we should all put pressure on Nosler to produce a Partition in 55 gr.and maybe have them redesign the profile of it so it would really shoot in most standard 222/223/22-250 with the 1:14 twist ??
Tomorrow is the start of duck and goose hunting season so for the next day or 2 i will be busy with that. Then i will get back to my final battle with the 60 gr part.although i don`t really believe in it any more. I also found out that my Sako indeed has a 1:14 twist and i have no intention of replacing it just because of this one bullet.

<Deerhunter>
posted
I think, that maybe, you should try the partition .224 cal. in a H&K 230 semiautomatic rifle. I'm sure it will perform well above expectations. Especially combined with N135 powder.

RGDS
Deerhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I tried 60g bullets in my 250 with a 1-14 it would shoot 3" groups too. I now have a 1-12 twist and it like 60g bullets just fine. I have been shooting the Sierra 1375's a 60g. HP for only a little while but it is very clear that it needed the extra twist. I am going to try the Berger 60g moly's next and see how they go.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote