Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I'm looking for your guys opinions on the following bullets to be used in a 25-06 Rem. I'm looking for an accurate bullet for shooting out to 300 meters+, that is why I added the BC. I will then buy a more expen$ive bullet, like a Partition or Ballistic Tip for hunting.

Hornady 117 gr. BTSP - BC .391
Hornady 117 gr. SST - BC .390
Hornady 120 gr. HP - BC .394
Sierra 117 gr. BTSP - BC .410
Sierra 117 gr. SP - BC .388
Sierra 120 gr. HPBT - BC .350
Speer 120 gr. BTSP - BC .435
Speer 120 gr. SP - BC .410

Question - Does the 117 gr. SST have a boat tail? I remember reading something like that a long while back. The BC is same as the regular BTSP, just wondering. If they didn't make it with a boat tail, why?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
todd, thought you would be working up a load for a .260?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used more Sierra's than Hornady's and have shot a bunch of deer with the Sierra 120gr, HPBT. It shoots really nice. I have shot the Sierra Game King 117 as well and like it too. I mostly shoot Nosler 115 BTBT at game. No problems with it until recently. I turned my 25-06 in an Ackley version and the extra umph maybe a little too much. I am looking forward to the "bonded" version once Nosler decides to make it in the .257 version. The 115 bullet has broken up on me a couple of times(only on 2 BIG deer) and have since begun investigating the Barnes X. My gun is more particular with the Barnes than with any other bullet so it has been tougher to get the same groups that I am used to. I have never had a Sierra Pro Hunter blow up on me with the exception of the hollow point variety. It to did it twice, but both deer were dead on the spot so I figured so what.

Good luck with your choices. I know Sierra's really shoot. I think I may look into the Hornady's. I will let you know if I find out anything interesting.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fats:
todd, thought you would be working up a load for a .260?

LOL. [Big Grin] I am wanting to prove to myself that the 25-06 blows, so I'm gonna play around with one behind my 260's back for a while. What the 260 don't know won't hurt it. [Razz]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Have used the Speer 100gr. flat base for years with perfect performance. You can keep the N osler BT's. If I had a scanner I would show you the only bullet I have recovered. It's perfect text book mushroom.

one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartel, I have used the 117 Sierra SPBT for over 25 years and it has proven deadly on whitetails, antelopes and mule deer! I have been working up some loads recently using the 115 BT but have not shot anything other than paper with that bullet. I also have a 260 and the only deer that it has shot was the one my 14 year old daughter shot at 271 yards using a 100Gr Nosler BT! He was instantly down and dead! Am looking forward to playing with the 260 some more but don't think it will unseat the 25-06 in my list of all time favorites!! If I could only have one rifle it would be a 25-06!!!! See ya'll in church...church of GHD and the 25-06!! GHD [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartell: I have used the 117gr Sierra BT quite a bit in 25/06 and 257AI. Very accurate and always worked well on small deer. I got nervous when it failed to completely penetrate a couple of times on broadside shots at mature bucks. So I tried partitions, X's, Grand Slams, and my rifles just didn't like them. In an old Speer manual, I read that the 120 Hot Core is designed with high velocity in mind. So I tried it. It is very accurate and has penetrated everything that I have shot with it, deer and hogs, from 25 yds to 375yds. (Velocity about 3100) Also has a BC as good as the Sierra BT. I tried a box of the 117 gr SST last year when they came out. Shot a couple of hogs with them. But when the box was empty, I went back to old reliable, the 120 Speer. (And no, for some reason the 117 SST does not have a boat tail.) I suggest that you consider the 120 Speer, it's certainly earned its spurs as far as I'm concerned. Regards, Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Tod

Yes, the SST has a boat tail.

I have only killed with factory loads with my 25/06 so far. Sierra Pro hunter was accurate but broke up on a 300lbs mulie. It did not hit bone. Ballistic Silver Tip was not accurate but passed clean through a small deer. Both bullets were 115 and 117 grains.

So far my most accurate hand load has been a 100gr partition. I absolutely trust the performance of that bullet.

[ 05-06-2003, 09:25: Message edited by: boilerroom ]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
olarmy says no boat tail for the 117 gr. 25 cal SST. boilerroom say yes , there is a boat tail. Which one is it? I know the SST is a boat tail for every other caliber, but I remember reading that the 25 cal version was a flat base.

Anyways, I cleaned up 20 pcs. of brass today, and will try the 115 gr. CT Ballistic SilverTips over IMR 4350, WXR, IMR 7828, and RL25. Hope to shoot them soon, maybe the weekend.

one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
Todd, My 0.257 cal. 117 Hornady SST's are flat base.

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot. Wonder why?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked the guy on the Hornaday help line. He said a BT would have made the bullet too long to stabilize in some rifles.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
Todd, My guess why the 117SST is a flat base instead of a boattail is due to Stability. It is already 1.194" long (as a flat base). If the length increase much more a 9" twist may be required. I got a barrel twist calculator from Z-Hat (Green Hill). You only type in bullet diameter and bullet length then pick bullet velocity over or under 2800fps. I put in the numbers for this bullet and came up with 9" twist.

On a side note: I ordered a bullet sizing die-to reduce 0.264" to 0.257". So hopefully in the not to distant future, I'll be able to shoot 140-160 grain bullets out of my 257 Roberts.

[ 05-06-2003, 18:17: Message edited by: RAS 323 ]

one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
WOW! [Eek!] I was right, a little late, but right.(replying and cooking breakfast- Lasagna- takes time)
Its only May and got something right already. Its going to be a good year.

[ 05-06-2003, 19:09: Message edited by: RAS 323 ]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
My mistake Tod.

I just assumed that they were because my 7mm were. Just when I thought I knew everything. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I started using the old Nosler Solid Base in 120g
Still have a box of those that I use on antelope and deer.

For the last 20 years I have used 120 Partitions. ( that's why I still have solid bases left) Performance has been spectacular. I have shot 3 elk with this bullet. 1 at 70 yards neck shot, 2 at 300 yards chest shots. All bullets exited. Animals down within 20 feet.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
120 gr. Partition sounds good. I think that will be the bullet of choice for hunting, but I'd like to find a cheaper alternative for target shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When considering accuracy and economics for practice, it would be hard to beat the Sierra 100 gr HPBT MatchKing.

Paul Box, of Sierra Bullets, is very proud of this bullet and deservedly so.

The Sierra 117 SPBT would also be a great practice/varmint/predator bullet that would be similar to what you will be building in a hunting handload.

Sinclair International offers a 10% break on all Sierra bullets when ordered in quantities of 500, (5 boxes in 25 calibre).

The lighter Sierra bullets are also frequently found at gun shows at very reasonable prices.

Did I mention that I really like Sierra bullets?!

Good luck to you.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote