THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    new winchester model 70 in .264 win mag TODAY

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new winchester model 70 in .264 win mag TODAY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
went to tip burns place, www.burnsgunrepair.com today and picked up a gorgeous .264 win mag.... this started out as a .300 win mag, i bought used from skyeskye, in april.... tip used a lothar-walther barrel, 1 in 8" twist finished at 26"... i got the stock from another AR contributor... finish on the gun is indestructable... QPQ.... it'll hold up to a file...i'll shoot it tomorrow under an older denver redfield 6-18 and see how it shoots...pics sometime sunday afternoon...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds really nice! What are you planning to shoot in it, and with it?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
shot it today with factory 140 gr winchester sp's... 3 shot group at 100 yds measured .95"... and a 3 shot group was 1.295".. i have an older denver redfield 6-18 on it for a scope... wind was light, we were about 9' above sea level in pt lavaca... what to shoot??? i'm replacing a .264 i lost about 15 yrs ago... it was a great coyote gun, jackrabbits at 300 yds...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like you are off to a good start!!

are you a reloader?

If so, and it's jackrabbits @ 300yds you are after, I'd recommend trying some Sierra 100gr HP's or Hornady 95gr V-Max's. Don't expect to find much left, however. Smiler

If you want to get a deer, go with 125gr Nosler Partitions, or 130gr Accubonds.

PS: don't let the skeeters get you in Port Lavaca! Wink

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy in Houston-

Congrats on the new Winchester-- and nice shooting!

Happy hunting and shooting-