Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OAL for 6.5 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
This is my first post and need some help. I am planning on converting a Kimber 7WSM to 6.5 WSM
My question is Will I have a long enough magazine and bolt to shoot the longer and heavier bullets?. How do I measure my rifle to confirm? Thank you for your help.

Posts: 8 | Location: Folsom, CA | Registered: 30 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RP-

If you have access to a dial caliper, you can measure the inside dimension (ID) of your magazine box. I am not totally familiar with the Kimber but, from the pictures, you should be able to open the magazine from the bottom and measure the length of the ID of the magazine and that would become, after allowing some measure of clearance, the maximum Over All Length ("OAL") for your 6.5 WSM.

Based on this measurement, you may actually have the ability to have the chamber reamer ground to allow you to have a longer cartridge and thus allow you more powder capacity, etc.

Good luck!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just general information. The length of 6.5 mm bullets in long range match configuration and similar 7 mm bullets are very close to same length. If I remember right the Sierra 6.5 155 gr bullet is 1.450" and their 7 mm 175 gr is 1.448". Berger's 7 mm 180 gr is 1.533 and their 140 gr 6.5 is 1.348.
I would think that a change to 6.5 from 7 mm won't be a problem. But, but this is something to have a discussion about with your gunsmith.
If you haven't yet purchased a reamer you can have it ground to meet your needs. Load two or three dummy rounds with the components you are going to use, to the length you want. Send these to the reamer maker with a note to provide a reamer to chamber that dimension cartridge.
Hope this is of some help.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the answers. I will dial the magazine when I get home.
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
RP-

If you have access to a dial caliper, you can measure the inside dimension (ID) of your magazine box. I am not totally familiar with the Kimber but, from the pictures, you should be able to open the magazine from the bottom and measure the length of the ID of the magazine and that would become, after allowing some measure of clearance, the maximum Over All Length ("OAL") for your 6.5 WSM.

Based on this measurement, you may actually have the ability to have the chamber reamer ground to allow you to have a longer cartridge and thus allow you more powder capacity, etc.

Good luck!!!

posted Hide Post
Thank you. You sound like a seasoned reloader! I will take some measurements tonight
quote:
Originally posted by muck:
Just general information. The length of 6.5 mm bullets in long range match configuration and similar 7 mm bullets are very close to same length. If I remember right the Sierra 6.5 155 gr bullet is 1.450" and their 7 mm 175 gr is 1.448". Berger's 7 mm 180 gr is 1.533 and their 140 gr 6.5 is 1.348.
I would think that a change to 6.5 from 7 mm won't be a problem. But, but this is something to have a discussion about with your gunsmith.
If you haven't yet purchased a reamer you can have it ground to meet your needs. Load two or three dummy rounds with the components you are going to use, to the length you want. Send these to the reamer maker with a note to provide a reamer to chamber that dimension cartridge.
Hope this is of some help.

muck