New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIB Kimber of Oregon 222
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well as luck would have it,and never have ever seen a K of O any place except in photos, I stumbled into two of them today. One in 222 and the other in Hornet. I chose the 222 as it has beautiful wood. Nice kind of steel butt plate and a lovely trigger. Hope it shoots as well as my 788 does.
Regards greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any one know if the dark wood on the fore end denotes a different model than the regular model 82?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
Ah hah, thats a Cooper last week and a Kimber this week. Thought you couldn't make it one week with out buying a rifle!! JK Good score

CC

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life is hell isn't it, I guess I could stop going to the gun shop.............. fS

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
If by dark wood you mean a fore end tip, yes it does change the grade or model. Could be an "S" or maybe a "SA" Check serial number and fuller description of the rifle couldn't hurt. Does it have sights? If no, scrub the "SA"

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sights on this rifle, so perhaps it is an S

Thanks greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudos on the Kimber of Oregon rifle snag.
I could spend a whole lot of high quality time with one in a 222 also!!
I'm kind of on a 222 roll, all summer shooting the two I have, and I'm having another new one screwed together now. Throw in the two rifles I have in 222 Mag, and I've been a busy Beaver working up loads..LOL The short answer here is, TAC powder, and about every 50-52 grain bullet being made today. But, RL-7, IMR-4198, and Benchmark get the job done too.
I have so many accurate loads worked up, I really don't know which one(s) to settle on.. Life sure is hell, to quote you.. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scoped the Kimber and brought it home today, it is a model 84. might get out to the range for some test firing tomorrow. I have a few rounds of 50gr factory ammo to blast off. Scope I chose is an older Bausch & Lomb Eilte 3000 in a 4-12 glossy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle has an ebony forend tip, and no cheekpiece on the stock......it is probably the Custom Classic model.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Gullette

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
If the rifle has an ebony forend tip, and no cheekpiece on the stock......it is probably the Custom Classic model.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Gullette

Thanks Kevin, no cheek piece and has the ebony tip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at my 1991 Kimber brochure, they list (as I understand it) three rifles chambered in 222 that have the forend tip - the Super America, Sporter, and Super Varminter. None have sights, the Varminter has a rubber buttpad.
Only the Sporter does not have a cheekpiece, instead being listed as a "classic style". Your rifle "should" have a 22" barrel, "A"grade claro walnut stock ("AAA" grade on the SA), steel buttplate (as opposed to the Neidner style of the SA) and side panel checkering (as opposed to the wraparound of the SA). The brochure also lists the SA as having "fully inletted" swivel studs.

All this is, of course, for their "base models", with quite a listing of custom options available - any of which could be added to your rifle.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:

Hope this helps.

Kevin Gullette

My thought as well, it sounds like a custom classic.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loaded up 20 rounds of 40gr Vmax bullets and shot them at the range today, using Win 748 and IMR 4198, results were pathetic, so bad I didn't bother with the last group.

Did shoot some 50gr Btips that grouped decently

So my next test is with 50 gr bullets and 24.5gr of Win 748. I have loaded 50gr Horn SP, 50gr TNT,50gr Ber,and 50gr Vmax. Next range trip will be Tuesday. FS

One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
Pics up of this Kimber

I'm sure it will shoot FS, have some patience.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos, thanks CC.
FS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well things may be coming together with my new rifle. In a very windy day I got a nice group with 50gr Vax and a nice group with the 50gr Berger Varmint, the Hornady sp and the TNT weren't all that good but I will try them again in calmer conditions. FS

posted Hide Post
Beautiful!
But where's the bolt? dancing
I had a Classic .222 KoO,it shot about 15/16"ths with jacketed and 1.5" with cast.GREAT hunting rifle...
TD 1420 was the serial number...

Posts: 88 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the hornet still there?

"There are three kinds of people in the world. There are wolves and there are sheep. And then there are those who protect the sheep from the wolves....." - Christopher Shields -

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has everyone noticed the lack of rifles chambered for the fine little .222 Remington? It seem now there are more rifles chambered for the .22 Hornet then for the .222. The .222 was suppose to replace the .22 Hornet.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David

Don't know enough about rifles to comment as to why so few manufacturers chamber the 222, but I do know that it is still available in a 527 CZ in either an American or the Lux models. I have an American on order and should be here sometime next month.
I am enjoying working up loads for my Kimber CC Varmint and having fun testing them at the range on almost a weekly basis, and I'm certain I'll have the same bit of fun when the 527 gets here.
Regards Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
David

Don't know enough about rifles to comment as to why so few manufacturers chamber the 222, but I do know that it is still available in a 527 CZ in either an American or the Lux models. I have an American on order and should be here sometime next month.

Regards Greg

Greg,

My very first high powered rifle was a Remington Model 700 ADL in .222 Remington bought back in 1965. GREAT rifle and I shot lots of Varmints & Targets with it. I use to also have an older Sako L-46 in .222 Rem. but it wasn't as accurate as the Remington due to the fact it had a 1-in-16" twist while the Remington 700 had a 1-in-14" twist. The Sako was fussy with handloads. I was considering buying a CZ 527 in .222 Remington or an older American made rifle in the future.

Best Regards,
Dave

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote