THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    will the 6.5 by 55 do what I want?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

will the 6.5 by 55 do what I want?
 Login/Join

posted
Been thinking about a 6.5 by 55. Most of the loads ive seen for it are 140 grains doing 26 to 2700 fps. Has anyone cranked one of these up with a 100 grain bullet or the like? Want it for deer and coyotes and an occasional crow......the latter 2 is why I want to know about speed and flatness of trajectory. I already have a .243, but Im wanting to buy a little nicer rifle

Posts: 14 | Location: Northeastern Oklahoma | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 140 grain bullets made the 6.5x55 what it is today, and that's one of the finest medium-game calibers ever developed. For varmints such as coyotes, etc, you could load up the Sierra 85 grain HP Varminter or the 95 grain V-Max to something over 3100 fps, but these bullets are NOT suitable for deer. The 6.5mm, 100 grain Partition will do fine for deer, and so will the 100 grain Ballistic Tip with careful shot placement. I tend to use the 140s for everything, but where I hunt, there's always the possibility of running into wild hogs.

You could compromise, however, and use the 120 grain Ballistic Tip, which will reach 2900+ fps from a 22-24" barrel. It does a bang-up job on long range varmints and does quite well on deer as well.

By the way, in the 6.5x55 and bullets from 120 grains on up, you'll generally get the best blend of velocity and accuracy with Re-22.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
I have loaded my Ruger 6.5X55 with 120 gr nosler BT. The velocities up around 2900+. I may be loading them a bit hot. I wouldn't do that with a surplus rifle. With 100 gr bullets she should really sing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
YES YES YES it will!

Load with 100gr ballistic tip and VVN150 for most accurate load. Zero at 150. Aim top of body line on a hare at 200. Drop at 250 is 5 inches and at 300 is 10 inches. Recoil in a sporter is light enough to see the bunny flip.

I have shot hares and rabbits out to 275 yards with my sporter weight 6.5x55. This with a 6x scope. Intrinsicaly accurate round. Forget about seating to the lands, twists for light bullets etc. Just get a quality barrel and have at it!
Amazing confidence giver for deer.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
48.5 grains of RL 19 under a 120 BT for 3000 plus out of my Sako (23" bbl). My favorite load for deer and similar size game. [Cool]

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find the 6.5X55 swede will fit the bill to a T. I would stay away from the milsurp guns however, as their long throats and fast twist don't provide the best accuracy with the lighter bullets. But, a modern sporter or semi custom should be just the ticket!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, then what get's the nod, the .260 Rem or the 6.5x55?

Posts: 64 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Yspen>
posted
The 120 BT and Sierra 120 SP both gives very good accuracy in my Styer at 2900+ fps .( shots out to 300m is not a problem as 1894 said )
I have not tried lighter bullets but am sure the will perform well.

The 6,5x55 will propably only have the advantage over the 260 in the heavier bullets (?).

Ben

posted Hide Post
Paul H is probably right on the Mil Surp Mausers with light bullets. I built one and cant reach the lands with a 120 Nosler seated way out. The only thing is that doesnt seem to matter, at least with this gun. I have shot 100 grn Sierras into MOA with ease at 3050. Deer go down so quick with this round and 120 grn Nosler BTs that my brother in law calls it supergun. I dont think I saved any money by making a sporter out of a select grade 1896 Mauser but it is fun to shoot and show. There is also a good feeling when I see that Swedish crest on it.
I have not had or shot a 260 Rem but think it is probably the perfect round for a Model Seven. Also for the XP-100 or Encore. I hope to report on all the above at some point in the future. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
I would stay away from the milsurp guns however, as their long throats and fast twist don't provide the best accuracy with the lighter bullets. But, a modern sporter or semi custom should be just the ticket!

All modern factory 6.5x55s will have a fast twist and a long throat too, never the less the 100gr ballistic tip often seems to be the bullet that is most easy to obtain excellent accuracy from.

IMHO reaching the lands is much over rated.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 case apacity is very close to 260 REM , only difference is th max pressure 260 REM work at 308 pressure level and have a shorter throat so :
6.5x55 dep throat can handle bulle as 156 grain round nose hornady
260 REM is better with light or shortullet

But that possible in modern chamber in 6.5x55 to load at the 308 pressure level ( Ruger , Remington , SAKO , TIkka ) that increase the peformance

I use for long ange shooting a 6.5x55 tight chamber ( no neck turning ) with a throat design to handle 140/143 match bullet , velocity is close to my 6.5/08 ( neck turning chamber )

260 REM works very fine in short action as REM Seven and 6.5 bullet as NOSLER BT with hight bc can handle energy far and make a powerfull pagkage in light package

6.5x55 is a nice classic cartridge which that possible to improve a bit by reloading

CAUTION : do not load old mauser swedish at 308 pressure level ; they are strong but to be safe use original load and chamber base is broad ( miltary chamber )so to keep your primer tight do no over load

enjoy 6.5 cl

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote