New
Find
Notify
Tools

1987 Brno Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the chance of purcasing a virtually un-used Brno Hornet.
I appreciate that older Brnos are prized items, often in the Hornet calibre.
Could forum readers advise me of the status in which Brno Hornets of this vintage are held?
Thanks,
Robert Cudlipp

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Robert, mine is a 1949 vintage and I do not know when that variation ceased production. I will follow this thread to learn a bit along with you. I really love this rifle by the way.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't "Brno" make a rifle chambered for the .218 Bee and .22 K-Hornet? Confused

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
ALF

Lovely wood on the first rifle, would you be wanting to sell the sight hood? Nah, I didn't think so. It's the only part missing from mine. I also have the double set triggers and get better than MOA from Winchester 46gr HP factory ammunition.

Appreciate the collector interest and information. As a further compliment, love the 3X Leupold and the Conetrol mounts.. class act all the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1949 and a 1972 Hornet (if I remember correctly). Both had significant headspace, at least when fired with Win or Rem ammo. I was told that the headspace was to accomodate thicker Euro Hornet brass. But I measured some Norma and the rim (if not the body) is very similar to Win and Rem brass. So, I'm inclined to think that they just have overgenerous headspace (which can be fixed easily enough).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 1949 ZKW 465,

as you can see the front sight has gone missing, but, it does shoot well. I especially like the double set trigger. I have just started with 35 gr Hornady V-Max after years with the 40 grainers, and am wondering why I did not try them before.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert ,
PM sent .
ZKW 465 is by far the most desirable of the Brno Hornets and brings more money than later "fox" models .A decent 465 will bring $750 plus in Oz .
The headspace issue is quite common in early models unfortunately but can be solved by removing barrel , machining off one thread and rechambering .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
JayB, What are you loading behind the little ones, or are you going with Factory ammunition?

$750 will buy about half a rifle in the top condition here! Last I saw at the Mandalay Bay Antique Gun and Knife show back in January was a mere $1,450 USD and it wasn't as nice as my used rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:

$750 will buy about half a rifle in the top condition here! Last I saw at the Mandalay Bay Antique Gun and Knife show back in January was a mere $1,450 USD and it wasn't as nice as my used rifle.

Yeah but your fuel is cheaper than ours .
ZKW 465's aren't really that rare here .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote