THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Dumb mistake gave me an idea !

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb mistake gave me an idea !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought some fresh factory brass for my .243 today. Brought it home and ran it through the size die, and primed it. It was a little tight in the size die, and I realized after doing the 1st 20 , I had managed to put my Roberts die in the .243 box, and I now had 20 primed cases for the wildcat 25 Souper.But no rifle to shoot them in.
I have a CZ 550 and a Sako Browning short action .243. The CZ shoots great, but so far I have not had much luck with the sako.
The CZ is kind of big and buy for a .243, but I could have the barrel cut and crowned and the stock reshaped and trim it down prety easy.
If I can get the sako brownig to shoot , I would prefer to rebarrel the CZ to 25 souper.I bbet with a 23 inch light sporter barrel , that thing would be a dynomite deer lope rifle.
But If I redid the browning I could get away with a .257 X 284.
I will resurch the cartridges. What do you think.
By the way unscrewd the decap pin and resized the brass back to .243. No harm done...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 25-08 has been done a time or two, and in all honesty, it doesn't offer anything that can't be done with cartridges already available. The .25x.284 will give you 25-06 performance in a more compact package.

For me, the .250 Savage AI is the best wildcat quarterbore out there, but that is strictly my opinion. It is extremely efficient, recoils minimally and can actually reach 3200 fps with a 100 grain bullet and a 24" barrel.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9380 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .250 ackly would be good !
I just read an article saying the case capacity of the souper and the 250 ack are extreemly close.
I already have 2 rifles in the Roberts,and a a 25,06.
My 25,06 is prety heavy and sort of a special purpose rifle, But mabye a 23 or 24 inch 25X284 would be exciting, should do impressive things with 115 and 120 grain bullets.
One built on the sako action with a real good barrel would have a hard time not being an MOA rifle.
3000 with a 115 grain tripple shock barnes or 2900 with a 1280 partition would be good for any animal I would hunt with a Quarter bore, and if I came up 100 feet short of that I would be happy ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
First of all ,Tom, you don't have sized cases for the 25 souper.Damn close though. Secound if you run those cases through the .243 sizing die you should have no problem.This has been a three drink sunday afternoon so posibly I don't understand your plight. monaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thomas, I currently shoot a 6mm/284 and a .257 AI on the L579 actions. In both cases I would rechamber to either the .25 Souper or the .260 Rem. Not quite as sexy, but definately smoother feeding and a little less brass work. Should you choose the 284 based cartridge a little trick is to remove the magazine box to allow the wider cartridge case to stack better! Yes, it works.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote