+ Holland Recoil Lug
+ Shilen Trigger
+ PTG Bottom Metal
+ Brux Stainless #4 .257, 10” Twist
+ LSS Stock
carefully assembled by One Hole Gunworks
= .257 Weatherby

John

Lord, please grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to get excited about a gun that’s just in pieces. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nahh. Anticipation is part of the fun!

John

Lord, please grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
It’s hard to get excited about a gun that’s just in pieces. Wink

Is this any better? Big Grin

Put together by Jim Myers of One Hole Gunworks.

- Remington 700 Action. Action face squared and lugs lapped into full contact. Ceracoated.
- #4 Brux Barrel finished at 26". Beadblasted with snakeskin pattern. Name and Caliber engraved.
- Shilen trigger, adjusted to 2.5 pounds.
- Holland recoil lug.
- Remington LSS Stock. Epoxy Bedded.
- Pacific Tool and Guage Aluminum Bottom Metal.
- Burris Extreme Bases.
- Burris Signature Zee Rings.
- Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with turrets.

Have only done minimal load development, and only put 4 groups on paper. Largest group was 1.17" while doing the "break in" cleaning regime between each shot. (FWIW, what a pain in the butt! I now realize why I had never tried this until now, and why I won't be doing it again in the future ). Two of the four groups were in the .5 MOA range. Groups were shot at 100m:

Winchester 7mm Mag brass with 71.5gr R22 behind 100gr Hornadys averaged 3649fps. Weatherby brass weighs about 20gr less, and gives about 85fps less with the same powder charge. 7 Mag brass formed easily into .257 Wby with one pass through a .257 full length die. Runout was horrible though (I HATE expander balls ), with some cases having as much as .012". Even with the most crooked ammo I have ever loaded, she is showing huge promise. I look forward to seeing what she'll do when I get some straight ammo in her. I have a Forster die set coming (back order). When I get them, I'll send the sizer back to Forster to have the neck honed to .004" less than my loaded ammo measures, and won't have to use the cursed expander any more. In every instance I have tried it, it has made a HUGE difference in runout of loaded ammo and a noticeable difference in group size.

Shot a few clays from 300 yards. From the 100m zero, it only takes 2 MOA to get on at 300 yards. The speed has to be seen to be understood. The trigger breaking and the puff of dust from the target berm seem simultaneous. Recoil is surprisingly mild. Seems on par with, or maybe a little less than my .308.

This rig is going to Wyoming Pronghorn hunting with me in October. Can't wait!

John

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Sweet thumb That’s something to be proud of.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own a 257 Whby. Ain't as pretty as yours, but I like the round! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Nice, very nice. Is it chambered with the standard Weatherby freebore? I get close to 3500 fps with IMR-7828 at 1.5 grains under max with 100 grain TSX. Max load still showed no pressure signs at 3590 with this being a 24 inch barrel.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Normal Weatherby freebore. After much reading, the consensus seemed to be that the freebore doesn't really hurt accuracy, provided it's tight and very close to bullet diameter. I was confident in my 'smith's ability to do this, and this way, should anyone ever decide to run factory ammo through it, there would be no problems.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Award winning recipe!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote